Please help with Briggs engine!!

Old 07-13-14, 05:28 PM
Please help with Briggs engine!!

New guy here and I need some help. I am working on a troy-bilt push mower with a Briggs 11P902-2693-B1 engine. The engine has the ready start on it, and it is anything but. Mower is new to me and was simply told that it would not start. I rebuilt the carb and it would cold start sometimes and would not start when hot. Thinking it was still a carb issue, I replaced the carb with a new one. Now it starts a little easier when cold, but will not start when hot. Sometimes it will backfire when trying to start it hot. Flywheel key is good. I have spark when it is hot. New spark plug. I checked the gas cap, and it is good. What am I missing? The linkage to the thermostat appears to be working. When cold it is in the choke position. It does take some time to return to the choke position when the mower is cooling down. I know this post is long but I wanted to give as much information as possible hoping that someone has some experience with this engine. Thank you for your time....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 06:19 PM
From discussions here about the auto chokes it seems they don't work quite as well as they should. The return to choking position isn't as fast as needed.

I believe one suggestion was to tip the mower on its side briefly to get the prime into the carb throat from the bowl.

Old 07-13-14, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's the only reasonable workaround I have found, to tip the mower carb side up just a bit to allow some fuel to run into the intake when warm. Poor design. The thermostat holds the choke open as long as it is warm, but sometimes a warm engine needs a little choke or prime to start. Especially with the lean EPA carbs on them.

Old 07-13-14, 08:25 PM
You may want to pick up a can of starting fluid. Spray it in the air intake and hit the starter.