need help with Craftsman power washer adjustable nozzle

Old 07-13-14, 07:47 PM
Question need help with Craftsman power washer adjustable nozzle

Hi,

My parents have a Craftsman 6.25 HP 2100 PSI model 580.768310 power washer. It has the yellow tipped adjustable nozzle. The High/Low to adjust the pressure has no effect. I've already noticed that it's missing the tiny insert that screws in at the end but before I possibly waste money on a new one I have a few questions.

Is it just the yellow sleeve that is supposed to move up and down or should the black inner sleeve move with it? When I push up on the yellow sleeve it sometimes slips right off. Should there be two O-rings underneath? I only see one on the end.

I just don't see how the yellow sleeve would control the pressure by sliding it up. Can anyone shed light on this? From the reviews I've read it looks like others have had similar trouble with this yellow nozzle. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't answer the specific detail questions about the o-ring and such because I'm not so intimately familiar with those nozzles that I can recall that off the top of my head.

The way the collar controls the pressure is to hold the reed valves closer together inside, making the pressure higher/lower.

Old 07-13-14, 09:29 PM
The metal strips with the ball bearings? On mine they only move together when the nozzle is twisted and this effects the spray pattern. If I push it out in the low direction those strips pop apart and the stream goes back to a high narrow stream.

Old 07-14-14, 08:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The smaller an orifice it has to spray out of, the higher the pressure will be. The more you tighten it to spray farther and wider, the more pressure there is. That's the only way a spray nozzle can affect pressure.

Old 07-14-14, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the help. I ended up ordering a new adjustable nozzle for less than the cost of the tiny insert that was missing so that should take care of it. Pays to shop around though because the prices are all over the place.