Craftsman LT1000 won't stay running!

Old 06-30-10, 01:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman LT1000 won't stay running!

Riding mower problems.
Its about 6 years old. It will crank, run for about 10-20 mins and then just stop, like its not getting gas. It will not start again until it cools down quite a bit. I have just replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. The person at the Sears parts store said it maybe the solenoid. Anyone have any thoughts on what to try next or if it is that, where is that located?

Old 06-30-10, 01:55 PM
Try it with the gas cap loose..If it still stalls,, check for spark @ the spark plug as soon as it quits...I can't think of a solonoid that would run 20 mins than quit other then the anti-backfire one.... but that is unlikley... Post some engine #'s & brand of engine so we know what engine you have & the Pros will take it from here..... Roger

Old 06-30-10, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Also make sure that spark plug is gapped correctly. Probably not it since if it weren't your engine would just stall under a load. But new spark plugs still need to be gapped.

Old 06-30-10, 02:09 PM
Ok will try that later today. here are the specs on the engine.
Brigg & Stratton
Craftsman I/O
17.5 OHV

Model: 31C707
Type: 0230E1
Code: 030619ZD

And I think this is the mower model: 917.272672

Old 06-30-10, 02:13 PM
On the gap, yes I verified that when I replaced it. Seems like it's getting hot and stopping, but I am not sure what is causing it.

I wanted to try anything that I can replace before paying the big bucks to Sears or someone local to fix something easy because of my lack of knowledge.

Old 06-30-10, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
.030 gap.

That's the same lawn mower I have!

So if you ever have any more problems with it... feel free to find out how to fix them right away. So that you can tell me what to do when I have those problems. Thanks pal!

This may be the problem and it may not. It's one suggestion.

Old 07-01-10, 07:38 AM
I ran it for about 10 mins with the Gas cap loose and it ran fine. I did find that the gas cap was clogged, so I cleaned it, inside and out, but did not have time to run it any after that. I plan to do some cutting this evening and will advise what happens after that. Thanks for all the help on this so far!

Old 07-04-10, 07:04 AM
Looks like cleaning the gas cap was the solution. Thanks Hopkinsr2 for that suggestion, and everyone for your advise.
Hopefully it will stay running for a long time, or at least until the winter!

Old 07-15-14, 08:31 AM
I
I have the LT1000 17.5 B&S model. It would run for 10 minutes and quit. After searching many other forums, I came to conclude that the fuel selanoid was bad. To diagnose, I removed the fuel line and clamped it off, pulled off the splug wire, then unscrewed the selanoid and drained fuel, and then turned on the ignition to see if it would retract - it didn't. This annoying component is used to prevent a backfire when there is a momentary loss of ignition (when you butt comes off the seat). You can replace it for about 60 dollars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: