Briggs mower won't stay running problem, small disk in carb bowl

Old 07-16-14, 07:50 AM
Briggs mower won't stay running problem, small disk in carb bowl

Last year and again this year I have had my briggs mower die while mowing. Won't stay running. Runs a few seconds on starter spray. For some crazy reason last year I decided to take the carb off after going through all my normal troubleshooting.

I took the bowl off the carb and noticed a small disk laying in the bowl. On bottom of carb I saw a spot where it looked like the disk should have been. So I pressed disk in, put it all back together, crossed my fingers... and that fixed it. Yay Same thing happened again last week.

Found a picture online, attached.

So what is this little disk and why is it falling out?

Mower: Troybuilt/Gardenway/MTD
Engine: Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp
Engine code: 120602-0164-E1 001108 FA

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-14, 08:12 AM
Looks like a welch plug. They are made out of metal and are normally taken out when doing a thorough cleaning. Then replaced from similar parts from a kit. They cover fuel/air passages in the carburetor.

The parts from a kit are shaped so they stay in place when you tap them in after cleaning a carb. Assuming you don't have a replacement you can take the one that's falling out and hold it dome down in your hand and tap the edges with a spoon. That will reshape and widen it out so it'll stay where you put it.

Old 07-16-14, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
The area under the plug provides access for a drill or mill to manufacture the carb but that space is not needed for the carb to operate so that Welch plug is semi-permanently installed to cover it. You should get a new plug and install it fresh though you might get by with some JB Weld or silicone sealant to help stick your old plug back in place.

Old 07-16-14, 09:29 AM
Pilot - I believe those plugs have to be in place for the carburetor to work or are you thinking differently?

Old 07-16-14, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys, welch plug it is. Based on my experience, they most definitely need to be in place to get proper operation