Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

A better way?

TX

07-16-14, 05:45 PM   #1  
A better way?

Craftsman DYT 4000 rider mower. 917.273240

Fuel tank bushing (grommet) needs replacing. Have new grommet and trying to get it installed in tank. Grommet goes in, hard plastic ell then inserts into the grommet swelling it and making a seal around tank hole.
My problem is getting the hard plastic ell to go in the grommet. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I have tried starting the ell using a vise to get it the first few thousandths, then placing in tank and pushing hard with hammer handle and bumping it with another hammer. I am working over my head as I have the mower lifted with a hoist.

RR

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-16-14, 08:52 PM   #2  
I put grease on it and it usually just pops in with minimal effort.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

07-18-14, 08:45 PM   #3  
I managed to break the hard plastic ell so made a new fitting from mild steel. It is a straight fitting. Tried to install it. No way.
My son showed up and I promoted him to crawl under the mower and try to get the fitting through the grommet. He pushed up and lifted mower. I pushed down from top side and the fitting went into grommet.
Finished up the repair and "road tested" it on my lawn. It passed. Good machine.
I guess my problem all along was my lack of ability to push due to rotator cuff problems. I just can't "do what I used to do!"
Sure "hurts" to get older, but I prefer getting older to the alternative.

RR

WA

07-19-14, 12:39 AM   #4  
Sure "hurts" to get older, but I prefer getting older to the alternative.
That's what I keep telling myself and my friends. I had a friend (long since gone to his reward) that used to tell people that complained about having high blood pressure that, "High blood pressure is better than no blood pressure at all."

Search this Thread