Troy Bilt tiller linkage issues

Old 07-21-14, 05:00 PM
Troy Bilt tiller linkage issues

Hello all I just bought a used nonworking Troy Bilt Tiller 12001 to hopefully save it. Typical, left with stale gas and a gummed up carburetor. The problem is, dumb me, I dismantled it without paying attention to the throttle spring, governor setup.

I have searched and searched but I have not been able to find a photo or description of how the throttle lever connects to the choke shaft spring. It has really frustrated me. I have taken many motors apart but this one is very confusing. Unless I am missing something there does not seem to be a way for it to connect. It has a TECUMSEH DIAPHRAGM CARBURETION with a air vane choke control. Can anyone be of assistance and direct me to a photo or pic of the setup? Thanks greatly!! Ike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-14, 09:03 AM
No one??? I have searched the net without any success. I have actually found the same question but no answer elsewhere. Here is a photo to hopefully help!
The carb throttle spring is to the lower right and the throttle control is to the upper right. When I stretch the spring to engage the throttle it is way too tight and jams the throttle up.

Thanks any help would be apprerciated!!Ike

Name:  IMG_4145.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 08-09-14, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
What do you mean by "jams the throttle up"?

I have never seen one of those tillers but I just looked at my Honda mini tiller and the spring returns the throttle to the idle position. The throttle cable pulls directly on the throttle arm to open the throttle. On my tiller the throttle is a pull trigger and when you let go of the throttle the spring at the carburetor pulls it back to idle.

Old 08-10-14, 12:34 PM
Thanks Pilot Dane, the throttle arm is connected to a air vane type choke that goes under the red cap. It is on the top and is way to the left and there doesn't seem to be a way to directly connect it to the throttle cable. Perhaps there was a second spring that is long gone from the previous owner that made the connection.

My lower arrow is pointing to a spring that I thought went up to the throttle arm cable. But when you do so it stretched so tightly that the throttle could not possibly open and close and got "jambed up".

I wondered if I was missing something. Here is a pic of the carb. The vane goes up into the red top,
I assume to control the choke as the engine revs up and produces more air. My suspension is that here may be a link coming off of here and going to the throttle cable hook. Any thought?? Thanks Ike

Name:  IMG_4141.jpg
Views: 3791
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by general ike; 08-10-14 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
My parents have a Mantis tiller (2-stroke). I'll try and remember to take a look and see how it's carb is hooked-up.

Old 08-10-14, 02:09 PM
Thank you Pilot Dane greatly appreciated!!! Very frustrating!! I keep forgetting to call the manufacturer and see if they can be of any help. I will try that next. I think the former owner may not have reassembled it correctly and I may be missing a linkage. The throttle/choke does not close on its own so I am assuming that it needs a spring to close it and a mechanism to open it. Ike

Old 08-11-14, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
I took a look at the Mantis (2 stroke) and it has a simple, manual choke lever and the throttle cable goes directly to the throttle arm. There is a spring on the throttle shaft that returns it to idle when the throttle trigger is released.

Old 08-11-14, 06:51 PM
Pilot Dane Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me. Is the Mantis a similar setup? Does it have a air vane type of throttle?
With this set up the manual choke lever and the throttle cable goes cannot connect directly to the throttle arm. The lever cannot possibly reach. There must have been a spring or connection. So if I understand you correctly the spring in the photo on the lower right is to return it to idle when the throttle trigger is released? Am I correct? Thanks again Ike

Old 08-12-14, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Neither tiller I looked at had an air vane like the one in your photo. They both have a small hand lever for the manual choke.

Almost every throttle has a spring to return it to the idle position so that's a safe bet. You may also have a spring go from the throttle cable to the throttle arm on the carburetor. That's done so if the throttle cable pulls too far the spring stretches preventing you from damaging the carburetor's throttle arm.

Also, the spring on the carb now might not be the original one. It could just be something someone else previously tried to get it working.

Old 01-24-15, 11:13 AM
Fix for tiller

Hi Ike,
I just bought the same tiller and had the same issues. This carburetor works a little differently than you think. Your spring is on the wrong side of the carburetor and is backwards. On the black vane there are two small holes in which the "L" shape side of the spring goes on. The circle side of the spring goes on the throttle cable. Since your spring looks a little stretched you can adjust how far the throttle cable moves by backing out the bolt which is in line with the throttle cable. Hope you still have the tiller and this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-27-15, 07:36 AM
Got gas, thanks for the response. Yes I realized it after staring at it endlessly. Its funny how I was so stuck on figuring it out one way I could not see it the other. I finally got it running and was able to use it. It was quite handy!!!

The interesting thing is that nowhere, on the internet was a example of the setup that I could find. Apparently there are many different variations of this tiller.

Thanks for the response!!! Ike