Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Platinum Mower Wont Start

HI

07-26-14, 06:38 AM   #1  
Craftsman Platinum Mower Wont Start

Hello everyone, i recently got a fairly new mower from my cousin that he was planning on throwing out. This is a Craftsman platinum push mower about 6 months old that no longer works. My cousin told me that he may have been running it without enough oil and one day he was mowing his yard when the mower made a loud thumping noise and shut off. He tried to start it but said when he pulled the cord it felt different, as if it wasnt pulling on a part to make it start. I recently changed the spark plug, filter and oil but it just wont start? Any ideas as to why it wont start? Is this worth fixing? Its a fairly new mower and would hate to just trash it, especially being free. Thank you in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

07-26-14, 08:17 AM   #2  
What does it feel like when you slowly pull the starter cord? Do you hear any clanking or scraping inside the engine? What did the oil look like when you drained it? Did you see any metal particles?

If it was run without oil and internally made a thumping noise I would not have bothered with changing the oil and spark plug as it's quite possible there is internal damage. It's sorta like brushing the teeth of someone who's just been hit by a train.

HI

07-26-14, 03:08 PM   #3  
Thanks for replying. My cousin is pretty dramatic at times and i just figured he just ran over a rock which made the thumping sound. When i pull the cord it turns the motor but its feels too easy and never sounds like it will turn over. Also when i drained the oil there was barely anything in it and it was very dirty, almost black looking. Im sure now that there is internal damage.

Group Moderator

NC

07-27-14, 04:36 AM   #4  
Remove the spark plug and put your finger over the hole and pull the starter cord. Do you you feel the cylinder pressurize when it comes up on the compression stroke?

Search this Thread