Poulan Riding Lawn mower and Shifting Gears

Old 07-27-14, 12:21 PM
Poulan Riding Lawn mower and Shifting Gears

I am a college student who got a cheap Poulan lawn mower (used) for $400 last year. I keep it outside covered by a tarp. Recently I went to mow the lawn and the blade engagement cable snapped. I found the correct part, and installed the new on myself. I now have a new problem: I cannot seem to shift out of neutral. I can get the mower to start but when I try to shift out of neutral it seems stuck and will not go into reverse or into a higher gear. I don't want to force it and don't know where to start looking to fix it. I did turn the mower on its side (gently) to install the blade engagement cable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-14, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being out in the weather is what is causing your problems. Water runs down the shifter shaft into the top of the transmission case where the shift shaft enters. I usually can get them going again by spraying PBlaster on the shaft and working it back and forth to free it up. Keep spraying and working it until it shifts freely. Water trickles down the engagement cable and rusts it inside the cable housing too. A tarp covering it holds condensation underneath and causes moisture related problems.

Search this Thread