Honda Generator Starter Removal / Replacement

Old 07-31-14, 08:31 AM
Honda Generator Starter Removal / Replacement

I have an es6500 Honda generator with a GX360 engine. I have shop manual for engine. Have removed flywheel and starter mounting bolts per manual, but still cannot get starter out. There is an interference with motor mount. Cannot remove the motor mount due to interference with starter (catch 22). Has anyone actually removed the starter on an es6500 generator. If so, your help would be much appreciated.

Also, I would consider installing a recoil manual starter, but cannot find one that is advertised to fit GX360. Would recoil starter for GX390 fit a GX360? They are both 13 HP.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-14, 08:26 AM
I will answer my own Honda Generator Starter Removal thread.

With considerable additional effort, I have removed the left motor mount. This required removal of both nuts on the rubber mounting to the frame on the left side and loosening the nuts on the right side rubber mount. Then I had to pry up the engine using a hammer handle between the engine and its support frame. I also had to unbolt the control panel and swing it out of the way. After the left motor mount removal, starter removal is easy.

I hope this is helpful to anyone having to remove/replace their generator starter motor.

Old 08-04-14, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for posting back. It's good to hear that you've gotten it. I've only got the GX630 twin cylinder in my head and knew it would not be much help.

Did you take any pictures during the process that might be helpful to others.

Old 12-21-15, 05:13 PM
Es6500 starter replacement

Need some help with my Es6500 generator. I don't have manual but I need to replace the starter on my generator. Need to know what i need to do to replace the starter...have seen that you have to remove the flywheel and motor mount. What do I need to know about removing the flywheel? pretty sure I can get it from there just don't want to mess anything up on my first try. using this to weld up up the roll cage on my race car and any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to finish it before spring so I can test. Thanks in advance