Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I have this 5.5 hp Honda water pump that wont run without the choke on

AL

08-01-14, 12:43 AM   #1  
I have this 5.5 hp Honda water pump that wont run without the choke on

This pump sat up for several years with no use and it wouldnt start. I got the engine to run a minute by bypassing the carburetor so I figured the carburetor was gummed up or worse. I didn't have a lot of time to deal rebuilding it so I just replaced the carburetor with a brand new one. It cranks fine but wont run if I turn the choke off even a slight little bit. Wonder what could be wrong? Any ideas? Thanks.
Oh, I replaced the spark plug too and the air filter and cleaned the gas tank and lines with fresh gas.

This is the pump.

HONDA WMP20XA1 MULTI-PURPOSE WATER PUMP

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-01-14, 07:03 AM   #2  
It sounds like a carburetor issue. Is the new carburetor the correct one for the engine? Are there adjustable jets on the new carb.?

AL

08-01-14, 01:37 PM   #3  
I bought the carburetor from the business I bought the pump from (Wilson Dismukes), I assume it's the correct one. Comparing the 2 they looked right. Not sure about any jet adjustments. I see 2 adjustments. #5 says its a "SCREW SET, PILOT". #10 says it's a "SCREW, THROTTLE STOP". Those are the only adjustments that I can see. I played around adjusting both of them with no luck Here's a diagram of the carburetor.
Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 12136
Size:  21.3 KB

AL

08-01-14, 02:47 PM   #4  
Oh, when I pull the starter rope it fires up with one pull and is very easy to pull etc.. with no resistance. I do see one thing. There are 2 gaskets on this diagram but the parts guy only gave me 1. Maybe I could take it back apart and replace those to insure there's no air getting in there.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-01-14, 08:14 PM   #5  
Check the plastic/bakelite insulator behind the carburetor for cracks while you're checking. I've run into that a time or two.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

08-01-14, 09:13 PM   #6  
I'l check that tomorrow, I'm going to be working on it and I'l post what I find on here. Thanks.

AL

08-02-14, 02:03 PM   #7  
I took the carburetor back off this afternoon, along with that hard plastic insulator. Nothing was damaged or cracked. I replaced the #15 spacer that goes between the breather housing and the carburetor and the other gasket (#14). Put everything back together and it cranks very easy on the first pull but still wont run without the choke all the way on. I ran water through the pump while it was running and placed the palm of my hand over the intake for a second and it has plenty of suction and didn't seem to strain the engine. Wonder if it could be something in the engine? hmmm.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-02-14, 04:43 PM   #8  
Sounds like you have a bad carburetor.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

08-03-14, 08:26 AM   #9  
I guess I'll take the time and clean the old carburetor and try it to see if it effects how the pump runs.

AL

08-03-14, 07:00 PM   #10  
I worked on it but didn't really get anywhere. I took the old carburetor apart and cleaned it very good and put it on the pump but the pump would only run for a minute before shutting off. It would crank up easy but seemed like it couldn't get a good supply of gas. If I waited a minute it would crank up fine again but only run for a brief time. Ended up putting the new carburetor back on and the same thing. It would crank easy and run with choke on only. I cant figure it out. Maybe I'll take it to the shop and see what they say.

Group Moderator

NC

08-04-14, 05:10 AM   #11  
Are you certain there is a good fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor. Maybe you have a partially blocked or pinched fuel line.

AL

08-04-14, 08:03 AM   #12  
Yeah, the fuel is freely flowing from the tank to the carburetor. When I had the carburetor off I sprayed cleaner through all the passages and jets and opening and everything looked ok with nothing clogged or restricted that I could tell. Inspected the float and everything generally looked normal.

Last edited by Fade; 08-04-14 at 08:20 AM.

Search this Thread