Craftsman Riding Mower Steering Rod break

Old 08-02-14, 01:34 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower Steering Rod break

Model 917.270923

The steering rod broke at the gear as you can see, and I'm not quite 100% what I need to order to replace it.

Name:  Photo Aug 02, 3 13 21 PM.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  29.6 KB

I was able to remove the gear teeth from a piece of the shaft which is still inside the mower, but images for replacement parts seem to indicate that this small piece of shaft Name:  Steering-Shaft-Assembly-532156546-01149725.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  46.7 KB
came already attached to the larger shaft. I cannot get the small piece out, as it seems to be affixed in it somehow. Am I going to have to disassemble the mechanism underneath to replace the new shaft?

Also, I cannot get this silver piece removed from the shaft. It needs to come off because the bracket which attaches it to the dash is only the wide of the black shaft, and won't slide over the silver piece. I'm at my end as far as why it won't come off. I can't get any leverage on it to force it off. It wiggles slightly, but that's it. Name:  Photo Aug 02, 3 13 18 PM.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  35.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-14, 02:49 PM
Do you have a Blacksmith in your area, or someone who does custom welding . . . . I'd find one and arrange to have the small end of the shaft welded back onto the portion south of the pinion gear (provided you can retrieve it, that is).

Regarding the other end of the shaft . . . . is there a small spring clip holding the shaft in place ?

They're also called External Snap Rings, and because they're usually matte black, you often don't notice their presence.

Old 08-02-14, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welding won't do any good unless you get the other piece out. Unfortunately, that piece was also welded to the shaft, and it has a bolt holding it from the other end. You'll have to keep that part of the shaft from turning to remove the bolt, and that won't be easy with it down in the plastic piece. I'd just buy the whole sector assembly and replace it as a unit. It doesn't cost much and the whole thing has to come out anyway.

Old 08-03-14, 01:16 PM
Ish. I was afraid of that. I just wanted to replace the 17 part as I thought it'd be a quick solution, but now that I realize that end piece of 17 is still in the 19 support shaft and that I have to remove a bunch of stuff to get it out, I'm not impressed.

As it stands, at MINIMUM, I'd have to replace the 17 shaft and the 44 extension as I can't seem to pry that bugger off. That's going to run me around $70. This is my landlords mower, and long story short I need a plan before I approach him with numbers. This isn't the first repair that's been needed for this gem of a mower he got. In fact it's the 4th.

BUT I DIGRESS. If I can get the small end piece out from the 19 support shaft, do you think it's reasonable for me to just replace that and be done with it? I just want to get that 19 piece off without having to rip apart the rest. This mower just isn't worth it, but it's all I have.

If I do cave in and replace the whole assembly, you're talking about the parts which are in the square in the diagram, correct?
Name:  P0030298-00004.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 08-03-14, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, that assembly has it's own number and comes pre-assembled so you just have to unbolt the old one and install the new. To get that steering column extension off, lock the shaft in a vise or with a good wrench and put the steering wheel back on and turn it. It will twist and come off the shaft fairly easily most of the time.

Old 08-03-14, 11:27 PM
Thanks for you help. I worked on it earlier, and can't believe how much I had to take apart in this attempt to replace that shaft. Man alive. I don't understand why the shaft was bolted underneath, when there is a dash mount to keep it in place. That stupid bolt was the only thing between a simple fix and a chore. I had to take off the dash, remove a belt, take out the mount, disconnect the drag link, all for that miserable bolt. If anybody reads this in the future, disconnect the drag link FIRST before removing the mount screws. You get no leverage otherwise with a wobbly bracket.

I was able to get the extender off with a vice grip and force. Sucker was in there tight.

I can't seem find any pre-assembled kits online, so I will see what the hardware store has to offer tomorrow. Of course, now as I prepare to re-assemble everything, I can't get the 27 sector gear back on the 23 shaft. It will go on back wards, but will not go on the correct way. It's very strange and annoying. So if I can't find an actual kit for all those parts, I think a 17, 23, and 27 order will solve this problem.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 08-04-14, 01:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look closely at the gear and the splines on the shaft. There is one spline that is wider than the rest, and one spot on the gear that corresponds with that. It is marked by a line cast into the gear. Line them up and the gear will go on.

Old 08-04-14, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I can see it, but I still can't get it on. When it's reversed and the teeth are facing towards the outside of the mower, it slides right on, and I flip it around and line it up the other direction it won't. I don't see any obstructions and I've soaked it in WD-40 and I still feel like a kid trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

EDIT: Doesn't matter in the end. The store knew about those kits and they are cheaper to order than just those 3 parts. Worked out just fine in the end. Now hopefully it'll go back together smoothly...

Last edited by Joseph Smoot; 08-04-14 at 08:48 AM.