Troy-Bilt Super Bronco Mower drive belt replacement problem

Old 08-03-14, 08:19 AM
Exclamation Troy-Bilt Super Bronco Mower drive belt replacement problem

I just replaced the upper and lower transmission (drive) belts on my 13AX60KH001 46" Super Bronco riding mower. I used the correct belts and routed them based on the diagrams found on this site and on the web. The mower starts and appears to work fine until it has been running 5 minutes or so. I'm guessing the belts warming up have something to do with this.

A dangerous condition has arisen. While driving either forward or backward and you release drive pedal the mower keeps moving and cannot be stopped with the brake and I cannot reliably drop it into neutral so the engine must be killed. The drive pedal is not sticking- it rebounds when released and it's connection to the tension pulleys appears to be good. There is no clutch or gears on this model so I cannot see how the belt tension remains to cause movement when the drive pedal is released.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-14, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you use genuine MTD oem belts?

Old 08-04-14, 02:42 AM
Yes, I used oem belts. Wish I could figure it out

Old 12-13-14, 08:49 AM
So, GerryR, what was the fix. i realize that this is kind of an old post but perhaps someone who has dealt with this issue can answer. i have had this mower for about 9 years and have changed drive belts numerous times. but at the last belt change i had the exact same symptoms. i even reinstalled the old belt, whiich was working, and did not fix the problem. the new and old belts are OEM. i finally parked it and used my spare Craftsman 42 which i dearly love. however yesterday when chopping leaves it had a piston rod come through the side of the block. i really need to get the Troy Bilt going. the alternative is to put the Troy Bilt engine on the Sears.

Old 12-13-14, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I missed GerryR's reply to this. I would think that there is a problem with the variator pulley not adjusting and letting the belt go, causing this problem.

kagnew, if the craftsman is in half decent shape, it's probably still a much better mower than the troy bilt and swapping engines would be preferred by a mile in my opinion. The troy bilts aren't lasting quality equipment.

Old 12-13-14, 12:09 PM
I think you are right. I have tried lubeing the pulley and it seems free. I suspect that it is worn enough that it is binding under the lateral tension of the belt. I can swap engines faster than I can deal with this junker. The Craftsman is 15 years old and except for the steering it is in excellent shape. I think a good restoration would be money well spent. The only reason I parked it was it was burning oil.

Old 04-18-16, 10:11 AM
I am having the same issue, did anyone resolve this? I replaced the upper and lower drive belts and now when I press the drive pedal the drive belt becomes engaged and never unengages even when letting go of the drive pedal causing it to continually go forward. I then kill the engine and press the pedal forward and I can start it again without the drive belt engaged. I looked at the variable pulley and when it is stuck engaged, the belt is sitting as far out as possible on the variable pulley almost touching the belt keepers, but after pushing the drive pedal it is sitting further up the pulley.