MTD Riding Mower/Tractor Shut Down After Reverse with PTO Engaged; Won't Start

Old 08-10-14, 12:29 PM
MTD Riding Mower/Tractor Shut Down After Reverse with PTO Engaged; Won't Start

I have an MTD Riding Mower / Tractor, Model: 13AM771G529.

I had the PTO (Blade Engage) Lever on when I tried to reverse. Oops. My model being without Reverse Caution mode, it automatically shut off the engine.

After I disengaged the PTO Lever and set it to off, and tried to start up the tractor again, all I would get was a strange sound as if a spring or rubber band was being tugged at loosely. The sound would occur only the first three or so times when I would try to turn the tractor on, and then it wouldn't occur at all.

I have looked through the physical manual, and every single online manual for this make and model (you can see the manuals here: http://www.mtdproducts.ca/equipment/...&serialNumber=)

It states in a variety of locations that if I try to reverse with the PTO engaged, the engine would shut off. There is absolutely no information about what to do afterwards. There was a single troubleshooting page that listed the possibility of the engine failing to start if the PTO is engaged during startup, but that isn't helpful as I keep it on OFF any time I try to start it up again.

At first I thought that a band was ripped somewhere, but after checking the tractor from underneath, there doesn't appear to be a single bit of damage to anything. I did however notice that the belts were a bit slack. I am not sure if this is intentional or not as I had never made note of the elasticity while it was still operating correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr: I tried to reverse while the blade was engaged. Engine shut down as per the safety mechanism. Setting the blade to OFF and trying to start it up again only results in a strange rubber-band-pulling sound for a moment followed by nothing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-14, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's a high pitch squealing sound, then the engine is probably stuck at the pulley with a belt bound in from it shutting down under a load. Try turning the engine by hand and see what is keeping it in place.

Old 08-14-14, 12:23 PM
Found the error; the battery was dead.

In hinde sight, I should have checked that first. The sound was a clue that everything mechanically was working when I would try to start it up, but a complete lack of electricity meant the process yielded no visible results. The fact that I had JUST charged the battery didn't help. Guess I left the key in the ignition and it drained it. The safety kicking in when reversing only served to create confusion.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways, cheese.

Old 08-14-14, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, that squealing sound is electricity. A stuck engine or low battery, either one can cause it. Flow of the juice but no rotation of the starter.