Mtd 4.5hp lawnmower starts then dies

Old 08-11-14, 12:33 PM
Mtd 4.5hp lawnmower starts then dies

Hello, i have this 4.5 hp lawnmower that hardly starts(need to pull starter like 15 times. Im 16 and just realised i could fix this instead of my mom buying a new one. I always cut the grass for the past 4 years and i had no i needed to maintain the lawnmower. I replaced the air filter and i think my next step is to replace the spark plug then check put carberator but ive heard since we are dealing with gas the carberator can be kindof dangerous. Here is the info onhe lawn mower
-mtd yard machine
-briggs and straton
-4.5 hp
-model # 11a-416f552
-Serial # 1c119i20001

Please dont say get it checked by professinal or by dad. It is just me and my mom thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-14, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
One trick is to remove the spark plug and put a tiny squirt, like 1/2 teaspoon, of gas into the cylinder. Replace the plug & wire and see if it starts or sputters better/easier than normal. If it does it could indicate that the carburetor has a clogged jet or passage. It's a very common problem that unfortunately requires removing the carburetor and disassembling it at least partially to have access to the nooks & crannies.

Before you do anything take lots of pictures. Make sure you study the control linkages and springs on the outside before unhooking anything. As you work take pictures at every step so you know where every piece goes and how to put it back together. Quite often the carb can be cleaned without needing to buy parts especially if you work carefully and don't tear a gasket.