Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray weedeater not picking up gas?

WV

08-12-14, 04:16 AM   #1  
Murray weedeater not picking up gas?

I have a Murray weedeater I got about a year and a half ago. Worked fine last year, stored it over the winter, and worked pretty good most of this summer but now doesn't want to start.

Last time I was running it, it was intermittently acting a little weird, like it wasn't really getting gas or something. Last night I got it to start, but it would run for about 2 seconds and shut off...did that a couple times then wouldn't fire up at all.

I noticed that the primer bulb seems to have a lot of air in it, and when I pushed on it, it doesn't really feel like it's picking up gas like it should be. Or, if the primer bulb is full of gas, if I press it once to prime, it's only refilling about 1/4 of the way. There is a full tank of gas.

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-12-14, 04:49 AM   #2  
Is this a hand held line trimmer with a 2 stroke engine or their wheeled push type line trimmer with a 4 stroke engine? I'm sorta assuming you're talking about a hand held trimmer. If so it's possible you have a crack or pinhole in the primer bulb or you might need a new diaphragm in the carburetor fuel pump.

If you post your model number the experts will be able to offer more specific advice.

WV

08-12-14, 12:04 PM   #3  
It is a 2 stroke...I will get the model number tonight.

I noticed that if I hang it up vertically by the string shield, the primer bulb will fill up, but if I take it down and prime it once, it doesn't fill correctly after that unless I hang it up again. So I guess fuel is getting in via gravity but not through suction of the bulb, I dunno.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-14, 03:46 PM   #4  
Sounds like the fuel line in the tank is broken or the check valves in the carburetor aren't working and/or the fuel lines are connected wrong and it's picking up from the return.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WV

08-12-14, 05:05 PM   #5  
Model number appears to be M2510.

Do you think I might have ruined the carb check valve by hanging the weedeater up as I described? I notice there appears to be some gas in the air filter, looks like it leaked out of the carb.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-14, 10:14 AM   #6  
Sounds like you need a carb or to rebuild the old one. New ones are so cheap nowadays that they aren't worth the hassle to rebuild. Hanging it didn't hurt it.

God bless!

WV

08-15-14, 06:45 AM   #7  
Man, the thing's not even 2 years old...

Group Moderator

NC

08-15-14, 06:49 AM   #8  
Inexpensive tools like that are almost disposable. If you work on it yourself then putting on a new carb is not too bad. If you have to take it to a shop you could easily exceed half the cost of a new unit. But the problem you are having might not have much to do with it's price/quality. Tiny motors like that have tiny carburetors with really tiny passages and jets which are very easily clogged.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-15-14, 10:09 AM   #9  
Add the garbage ethanol gas on top f that and the stuff doesn't last long at all.

God bless!

VT

08-15-14, 10:19 AM   #10  
The one-man shop I frequent has lots of those units for sale. People will bring them in for repair and my Friend will make the repairs; but when his Customer hears what the Bill is, they often simply abandon the unit . . . . saying something like "Why don't you just sell it for whatever you've got into it ?"

I bought one of these orphans as a parts donor machine for my Craftsman WeedWacker; but I can't absorb all of them. I've told him to implement a minimum deposit on the repair BEFORE he starts work; but he's afraid to implement that technique.

WV

08-25-14, 04:15 AM   #11  
So, to update (in case anyone else has the same issue) I think I found the problem.

I took off the primer bulb...the screws that held it on also held on what I assume is the metering block (not real familiar with these type of small carbs). There was some brown gunked up crap in the screen under the metering block where the fuel goes into the carb.

So, cleaned that out with a little burst of carb & choke cleaner and put it back together....voila, the primer bulb is actually drawing fuel now, so I prime it a couple times and it actually stats. Woohoo

Still doesn't seem to run perfect but at least it starts, it wouldn't even start earlier in the evening.

WV

08-25-14, 08:41 PM   #12  
OOOK, apparently I was a bit premature.

So, it was running a little rough but overall pretty good when I started it last night.

I was going to do some trimming tonight so I got it out. Problem I'm having is that it will start, but it only runs for about 5 seconds and then stumbles and dies. I have to put it on full choke and it fires briefly, then switch it to half choke and it will start, then the RPM's drop and it dies. After that I have to do the full choke-half choke thing again just to get it to start and it does the same thing.

If I hold the throttle open a bit (on half choke) it will start and rev up, but I'm not getting full revs, and again if I let off the throttle, or put any load on it to where the RPM's start to go down, it chokes and dies.

Even after several minutes of doing this it would not start on half choke alone, which used to be no problem.

This thing is pissing me off- it worked fine the last time I used it before it decided it didn't want to start anymore, I don't understand what's wrong.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-14, 09:00 PM   #13  
Post #6. Not sure what else to say.

God bless!

Search this Thread