best lubricant and grease for snowblower maintenance

Old 08-12-14, 07:59 AM
best lubricant and grease for snowblower maintenance

I'm looking to do some maintenance on the 10 hp 2 stage snowblower i have ( yardman/ MTD model 31AH5C3F401

The manual states to use a 6 n 1 grease I have no idea what that is. A simple search online for the part # ( 737-0170), it cant be found

what can be subsituted?
6n1 grease is to be used for lubricating the gear shaft

2 other parts of the blower call for grease lubing but are vague of what to use. I'm listing below the parts and what the manual calls for if anyone can give direction I'd appreciate it
spray lubricant for drive and shifting mechanism-?
cam on ends of control rods which interlock the traction drive and auger drive must be lubricated, use multi purpose auto grease -? like lithium grease?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-14, 06:06 AM
Most automotive lubs are fine, although I don't know what 6 in 1 lube is. You can post your question on Snowblower Forum.com and you will get all your questions answered and then some. Lots of good information there even though it is the slow season.
Sid

Old 08-13-14, 06:22 AM
All of the suggested lubs are fine; but I'd be leery of trying to lubricate the shifting mechanism. If you have the same friction wheel that I have, then as the name implies, you rely on the friction for traction to propel the unit . . . . so you don't want to to use any grease there that's likely to migrate to the drive disk or friction wheel.

Old 08-13-14, 06:41 AM
Vermont,
I understand you concern, but I worked on many friction drives and never had any lub get splashed on the plate. So, I would recommend that the transmission gears be liberally lubricated.

Old 08-13-14, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
6 in 1 lube is apparently a brand name for an aerosol spray lubricant. Just Google to check it out.

Old 09-02-14, 09:46 AM
great .. sorry for the late resposne, have been out of coutnry for work. Need to get this snowblower service myself so I can save some $$

thanks for the input