Kohler Engine Blowing Smoke

Old 08-17-14, 07:13 AM

With some research, I was able to find a local rebuilder who could re sleeve the cylinder in my Kohler 241S Spec # 46764d Ser # 9612093. I took most of it apart for the process but a tech friend did the final disassembly and I did not see how the governor, valve timing gear, and balance gears all tied together. My friend is unavailable for the reassembly and I am stuck on a couple of issues.

First, the governor assembly (plastic gear and flyweights) appears to rest on small shaft inserted into the block on the inside. If I place the assembly on this small shaft and insert the rod that rests against the center of the plastic assembly, what holds it in place? I will not assume that the springs etc outside the block do this but maybe they do. I do not have a good photo of this assembly.
Second, according to the manual the balance gears in this serial range are old style and can be assembled all at once. I have found the timing marks and should be able to to put this all together, but the spacers are a mystery. I have a new spacer kit, but the service manual is unclear as to how and where they go.
Third, there is a small bushing about an inch long and about 3/8" Id that came from somewhere in the disassembly of the valve, balance gear and governor that I can't find an obvious place to put back.
My hope is that someone has done one of these old cast iron Kohlers before and can give me some advice.

Thanks!

WML13

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-14, 11:12 AM
Did you go to the Kohler site or Google "K241 Service Manual".

They have some good PDF manuals there for free download.

Old 08-25-14, 03:54 PM

I found the location of the bushings and a tool for installing the balance gears. I am following the sequence of the reinstall and at at the point of installing the valves (ground and lapped) There is nothing in the manual about reinstalling the valve springs and keepers. In this Kohler, there is not room to insert the springs in their collars as I call them, between the adjustable tappet screw and the valve stem tube, even when they are compressed in a tool made for them. Since the instructions in the manual definitely say to install the cam, the tappets, and then the valves, I have to be missing something. Any clues would be appreciated!

WML 13

Old 08-26-14, 07:00 PM
What are you referring to as the Stem Tube? In the block window you would have the tappets coming up from the bottom riding on the cam. From the top you would have the valve guide (not extending down into the block window).

Then you would place the valve spring with the retainer on the the top of the spring and the lower retainer in place on the spring and place that in line with the valve guide and tappet. Slide the valve down from the top of the block. Then compress the spring with its retainers and put the collets around the stem and let the pressure off the compressor. The collets would seat in the stem groove made for them and the valve would be installed.

Old 08-26-14, 07:52 PM
In this engine there are two protrusions into the "block window" that house the valve stem seals. The Valve spring compressor I had was marginal and that didn't allow me to compress the springs small enough to get between the tops of the tappets and these protrusions. I found a better spring compressor that allowed me to install the springs and then compress them so I could install the colletts easily. The valves are in and adjusted. You were right, but I have not done a lot of valve jobs, and the last one was was on a Kohler 16 HP Twin that was a LOT easier to get to and move the springs and colletts around, etc.

Old 08-27-14, 04:34 AM
Sounds like you're on your way then. Those K series engines are great ones and the only engines I've had on my mowers. I use everything until it dies completely. The K341 is still going strong with a 48 inch deck on 3 1/2 acres. I just sold my 855 tractor with the K181 engine. The 36 inch deck had rotted away, but the engine was still OK.

Old 08-27-14, 06:53 AM

It isn't many things you can rebuild after 40 years, so I hear you. I am at a spot now where I need to install the front bearing plate. The Service manual is not very plain picture wise on measuring the "END PLAY" in the crankshaft. The manual says insert or remove gaskets and spacers as needed to get the right measurement" I only have one paper thin gasket that stradles the area where the bearing plate mounts, and no spacers larger than the ones in a kit that go most other places internally in the engine. Nothing big enough to go around the crankshaft. There were no spacers present when I took it apart. If I put it together with the gasket and no spacers, and the end play is not to spec what is my next move? Are the spacers they are talking about a kohler part?

thanks for your comments!

WML13

Old 08-27-14, 09:53 AM
There should be a Kohler part originally made for that, but it may have been discontinued. Still there should be some machine stock stuff that would do the job. Those are usually available by dimension. Other sources would be small engine shops or engine rebuilding shops.

Look up the end play on a spec sheet in the service manuals. They have about everything there. It should be with torque specs, ring gap, etc. To measure it, push everything snug to one end and measure the space at the other end with a feeler gauge.

Old 08-29-14, 07:14 PM
I took the whole thing back to the shop that re-sleeved the block. They are going to put the seals in for me, and check the end play. I used a dial indicator rather than a feeler gauge, (I could never see a logical place to use the feeler guage.) I only had .002 variation on the flywheel side of the shaft so I figure I am ok. I will have it back next week for installation of the other peripheral stuff. Thanks for everybody's input.

WML13