Snow thrower purchases

Old 08-20-14, 12:13 PM
Snow thrower purchases

Ya,I know its early yet, but I'm researching snow throwers for family members at their request.
So please humor me

One needs a single stage to replace her 26 yr old Toro CCR1000 that needs too many repairs.
No complaints here with Toro. Her driveway is gravel and dirt.

My son is having back and shoulder issues so he needs a snow thrower for a level.hot top,two car driveway about 60 ft. long. Preferably a two stage, maybe a bout 6-7 h.p.,self propelled

I have owned both of these machines . Any suggestions, and price range would be of help.
Im thinking in the $400-$500 range for the single stage,and $700-$1100 for the two stage

Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-14, 05:35 AM
My usual snow thrower rant. Unless you buy a Cub Cadet or a John Dear and spend $$, you won't get high quality. Arien's is NOT high quality, nor is TORO, nor Yardman or any of the typical big box store brand names.

IMHO...buy the cheapest you can find and expect a 4 to 5 year life at best. Then just buy another when they die. You'll get a 1 to 3 year warranty and an updated machine every 4 to 5 years. Today's snow throwers are built with a limited life span and are not worth fixing. On the other hand if you can find an Arien's built prior to 1980's then you'll have a quality machine. Just say'n.

$500 range is about right for the two stage.

Old 08-21-14, 06:17 AM
I agree with your thoughts. Its been some years since I needed to replace any equipment, hence my query here.

Thanks