Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14 Year old mower (Never die?)

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-16-01, 08:35 AM   #1  
Hi guys/gals Time to get the ole' mower ready for yet another season. Yesterday I got my riding mower out of the shop for the upcoming 14th season. I did the usual preparation getting ready for another season.ie. change oil...check blades...check air in tires. While checking the blades I noticed that my deck has a hole about the size of a quarter.No prob. just get someone to weld a plate over it...Anyway, this deck problem is the first and only prob. I've had with my mower...have never turned a screw on it .I have never changed either belt on the mower!! If it aint broke dont fix it!! But I did go out a buy both new belts and new blades My yard is 1-1/2 acres every week in the growing season for 13 going on 14 years (and the first couple of years I had a lot of dirt instead of grass [which I figure did 1/2 the damage to the deck!]) Go Craftman!!38" cut 12.5 HP OHV. Paid like 1200$ back then a lot cheaper now) Oh yeah I am going to adjust the valves for the first time ever,even though they are not too noisey. HAPPY MOWING ALL!

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-16-01, 06:34 PM   #2  
Excellent Maintenance Pays Off.....:)

Hi: wireman

Thanks for posting a positive testimonial...

You have proven that excellent maintenance does add years to the life of an engine and the equipment.

The hole in the deck most likely was caused by some wet mulch, which was allowed to remain attached to the deck. This caused a rust spot on a prior damaged area where the rust preventative was already damaged.

BTW: {By The Way}
Don't forget to check the air filter....

TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Visiting Guest

03-16-01, 07:17 PM   #3  
Joe_F
A little goes a long way

Yup....most small engines will last a very long time if cared for correctly.

I make it a habit every year to give the deck of my mower a polish with auto wax to keep the paint from chipping and the body solid.

If you want to go REALLY nuts, you can clean it, etch the metal and apply the POR15 rustproof paint like I do on my Trans Ams. That stuff is invincible

Visiting Guest

03-16-01, 08:14 PM   #4  
mikejmerritt
In my opinion the 11-12.5 HP, 36-38 inch cut mowers were an all time high in our riding mower history. This configuration seems to beat out all of these high HP wide cut mowers that can be bought today....Mike

Search this Thread