Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yard Machine MDT doesn't start with the air filter in it.

MO

08-25-14, 11:48 AM   #1  
Yard Machine MDT doesn't start with the air filter in it.

1. Equipment: Push Mower
2. Brand: MDT Yard Machine (2000 Model)
3. Engine Make: Briggs and Stratton
4. Engine Model: 12H802-3509-B1 (6.0 HP Quantum Engine)
5. Issue Description: Iíll start by saying that Iím new to working on small engines, so Iím learning as I go. Currently, the mower wonít start if I have the air filter in the mower. It starts to fire up, and putters for 3 to 5 seconds and dies. If I remove the air filter, it fires up and runs fine. After letting it run for about a minute, I shut it off, put the air filter back on, and it will fire right up again. Once itís sat awhile, I have the same problem again. I should note that I replaced the carburetor, spark plug, fuel line, and air filter. I have a new gas tank on the way because the current one leaks fuel from the top seam. It really seems like itís an issue with air flow since it will start and run fine with the air filter removed, but Iím also not sure why it would start with the air filter back on it after itís been running a minute either. Like I said though, Iím learning as I go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

08-25-14, 12:38 PM   #2  
Sounds like the "O" ring seal on the intake tube is failing or missing, part # 270344. With the air filter in it creates enough resistance that it is easier to draw air from behind the carb than it is to draw air through the filter. Have a good one. Geo

MO

08-25-14, 12:56 PM   #3  
Thanks for the quick response geogrubb. I'll give that a try tonight.

MO

08-25-14, 03:53 PM   #4  
While the engine is running you can spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb if the engine tempo changes you have a leak. Have a good one. Geo

MO

08-27-14, 06:08 AM   #5  
Thanks Geo, I had purchased the engine gasket kit, so I had everything I needed on hand. I replaced the gasket and O ring on both ends of the intake manifold, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I got it running, let it sit over night, tried it again last night, and it fired up right away. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

MO

08-27-14, 08:29 AM   #6  
Success is a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread