Craftsman GT5000 engine swap

Old 08-25-14, 06:05 PM
Craftsman GT5000 engine swap

I have a 9 year old Craftsman GT5000 garden tractor with a 27hp Briggs and Straton engine. The engine needs to be replaced. I can get a deal on a low hour Kohler 26hp motor out of a Craftsman DGT6000 garden tractor. Will the Kohler engine fit in my tractor without any modifications? Also, what is your opinion on the Kohler engine?

Thanks.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-14, 08:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kohler makes a fine engine. The exhaust will not be the same, the electrical connections may not be the same, and the throttle and choke cables may not be long enough. Chances are the cables will fit and the rest can be worked around. If the crankshaft is the same diameter, it should work.

Old 08-26-14, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
I've done engine swaps and unless you get the same exact engine be prepared for annoying and possibly time consuming modifications. Fine details like the angle of the header mounting holes, the cylinder to cylinder spacing, crank height which at quick glance may appear the same can be frustrating if they are just a bit different. It can be done but it may not be a drop in replacement.

Search this Thread