Old Kohler Questions

Old 08-30-14, 03:59 PM
Old Kohler Questions

I put this new spring in years ago, machine hasn't been used since. Son wants to borrow it and I find the spring lets go from the round thingie.

I can get it wound up about 2/3 of the way then the spring lets loose. Looks to me like the end of the spring needs a sharper bend to fit into the round device properly. Do I dare put more of a bend in the spring end with a needle nose and not have it break on me?

I'd like to do away with the sediment bowl and that needle job that turns the gas on, looks like it should unscrew from the tank. I had trouble with the needle not letting gas in, not sure what is up with that. Fittings I could find to do this if I don't ruin the tank in the process?

Lastly, any idea what year this thing is?

Ran good when I started it about 4 years ago, haven't tried this year.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-14, 05:47 AM
YOu can bend those springs a little, but with no heat. If you break the end off and you have a Dremel Tool you can grind a new fit to the end, but don't get it hot.

Taking the sediment bulb isn't advised since it's a pretty good dirt/water trap plus it gives you a shutoff for the gas. All you need to do is take off the tank with the bulb attached, then unscrew the bulb fitting, clean it up good. Then put a hand full of small nuts in the tank with some soapy water and shake them around to get the rust out of it. You'll have to do that a few times to get clean water. Then wash it out good with gasoline. Don't use gas with the nuts for cleaning.

But if you want to replace it , I would use barbed fittings for neoprene gas line with an in line filter. Just take the old fittings to a parts or hardware store to match them.

I couldn't say what year that is. It looks like it's in pretty good shape, though.

Old 08-31-14, 08:06 AM
I do have a dremel tool but I don't quite follow you if I break it. If you look at the other end on the left it makes a 180 bend, the other end should too. I can't see any way to get it in the slot and still get it back together again???

Just found this, apparently it's an Eska. Never heard of such a thing.

Eska Sno Flyr Kohler cast iron - YouTube

Old 08-31-14, 10:21 AM
I see what you have now. A lot of those recoil springs have an hour glass shape cut into them and they fit into a little notch affair in the rewind. That one looks like the end on the right has been broken and the one on the left is still in good shape.

Apparently the end on the right is the one that keeps coming out of the groove, isn't it?

I don't know what the original shape of that end was. I could see a hook shape working, or a little dogleg. About all you can do is get that end in a vise and tap it a little at a time with a hammer to bend it into shape. That way you can control the bending a lot better that with pliers.

There is a bending procedure with heat, called annealing. You might look that up and see if it will fit. I'd say just using pliers it will likely break and/or weaken it to breaking.

Search this Thread