Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mcculloch 320bv leaf blower, recoil spring problem.

Non-US

09-01-14, 11:15 AM   #1  
Mcculloch 320bv leaf blower, recoil spring problem.

Hi, thanks for accepting my membership,
I have a problem with the recoil spring jumping out of the centre rope spool, I bought it of a certain auction site, and it has been reassembled incorrectly I think, not sure how the recoil spring stays in the centre spool, seems as though there is something missing, hope someone can advise please.

Regards Colin

Sponsored Links

IA

09-01-14, 11:43 AM   #2  
Best thing to do with that is get the model number off it and go to Sears Parts Direct for a part diagram. Then compare the parts listed with what you have. Then if that doesn't get you anywhere, put a picture of what you have with a couple different views and someone here will likely know how to put it together.

Non-US

09-01-14, 12:28 PM   #3  
Recoil spring

Thanks for the information,will do that.

Regards Colin

Non-US

09-01-14, 01:43 PM   #4  
Recoil spring assembly diagram

Hi ,found a diagram of the recoil assembly, and it doesn't seem as if there is anything missing, I am going to try to upload some pictures, and hope that helps solve it.

Regards Colin

Attached Images

IA

09-01-14, 03:52 PM   #5  
It looks like the little eye in the spring peeping through the hole just above the shaft in the top figure simply hooks into the cutaway in the casting at the center of of the lower picture. If that's all there is to it, it would be inclined to pop loose. There just isn't anything in that cutaway to hold it.

Could you post the model number and we'll look up that diagram you have.

IA

09-01-14, 05:29 PM   #6  
Well I used the model number you have in the title block and got to a diagram, but I can't say it told me a lot. Maybe one of the guys here have worked on one of those and can shed some light on a fix.

Non-US

09-02-14, 12:51 AM   #7  
Recoil spring

This is the only number I can find on the machine.
Mod. 21400232-02.

Thanks for your help

Colin

IA

09-02-14, 05:03 AM   #8  
That doesn't register on any of the sites. The 320bv at least gets a diagram, but without any details. Just from your pictures, it looks like the spring sits behind the plate in the top photo and the rope reel is the bottom photo. In looking at it again it looks like the lower photo shows the reel side away from the spring, as it would be assembled. It would make a difference to see the other side of the reel with the rope. That would engage the spring, but I imagine that reel is made of plastic and the nook to hold the spring end is distorted. All this leads to replacing the reel, but we need to see the other side of the reel that winds up the spring.

Non-US

09-02-14, 09:31 AM   #9  
Hi this is the opposite Side where the drive is to turn engine, just been looking at the spool again, and wondering if it relies on a lot of tension,from centre loop on,spring to keep it in position.

Regards
Colin

Attached Images

IA

09-02-14, 10:51 AM   #10  
There's a certain amount of truth in that and if you have enough pressure to hold the spring in place it likely would stay put. But most of the time the problem is the condition of where the spring engages the recoil. Things that hook and hold just let go in normal useage. That can push the spring out of place.

The best way to fix that tool would be to replace the plastic recoil spool and since you have it apart, the spring coil itself. But, unless your old spring coil is broken or really distorted at the end that engages the spool, it would likely be serviceable.

I doubt if that plastic spool is very expensive. But if it's more than you care to spend you could file the worn part of the spool and get it to work. Along with that you may have to bend the end of the coil spring a little. But don't overdo that, those things can break on you.

Non-US

09-02-14, 11:37 AM   #11  
Spool recoil

Will look at price for a new spool, can't see them being too expensive, could be the answer to the problem.thanks for all your help.

Regards
Colin

Non-US

09-03-14, 07:45 AM   #12  
Sring housing on 320bv

Hi, just letting you know.i solved the recoil spring problem, the spring housing had been assembled incorrectly, the metal spring housing sits on the bottom of the plastic case, the diagram wasn't very clear on that. Got there in the end.

Regards
Colin

IA

09-03-14, 07:50 AM   #13  
That's the best place to wind up and you figured it out yourself!!. Congrats. Have a good day.

Search this Thread