Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

20 HP Intek intake valve

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-01-14, 01:43 PM   #1  
20 HP Intek intake valve

I just looked at this engine for an old customer of mine. It is on a poulan rider, I don't have any numbers but could get some if needed.

I eventually found that the pushrod for the intake valve is not moving. When I removed the valve cover the intake rocker arm and pushrod are tight and do not attempt to move cycling the engine through all strokes. I loosened the rocker arm and removed the pushrod with out problem. The pushrod is not bent or stuck. I reinstalled and it feels seated properly but feel no movement when holding with my thumb and turning the engine.
The exhaust valve is operating normally.

Never has been cost effective or had a scapper to tear into one of these, so I am not familiar with the inards of these OHV's.

Possibly something simple? Even if so likely not worth labor and parts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-14, 07:23 PM   #2  
Hey buddy, glad to see you again!

The cam lobe wore off the camshaft. They are made of a junky cast soft metal that you can cut with a pocket knife. Happens fairly often.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-01-14, 08:54 PM   #3  
Hi ya cheese, that was about all I could think of but hard to imagine. Well I kinda told him 10 yrs was a good run on it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-01-14, 10:18 PM   #4  
A new cam is usually worth the expense. It only takes an hour or so to pull the engine, pop it open, put the cam in and put it back together. The cam runs about $90 or so.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread