Extending the boom on Foldable Shop Crane

Old 09-05-14, 04:59 AM
Extending the boom on Foldable Shop Crane

I have a foldable shop crane from Harbor Freight. It is a pretty nice unit however the boom is not long enough to lift an engine off a lawn tractor frame. The frame does not fit/straddle the tractor unless you remove the deck. Also to lift a heavy deck off the floor, the boom is once again too short. Has anyone extended the boom on one of these cranes and if so how much did you extend it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
The foldable cranes on the HF website already have an extendable arm. It's length is limited to keep the weight safely within the footprint of the base. If you extend the lifting arm it's liable to tip over when you attempt to lift much of any load. To make the lifting arm longer you also need to enlarge the base. And since you are increasing the length of the lever arm you decrease it's lifting capacity.

Old 09-05-14, 08:40 AM
Pilot Dane - Thanks for your input. I would be lifting no more that 120 lbs either a twin cylinder engine or 50 inch deck. I realize the tip over problem. I am going to add weight to the back of the crane to compensate.

Old 09-05-14, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would jack up the tractor front to allow better access to the underside of the tractor without removing the deck.

Old 09-05-14, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you'd be better served by widening the area between the two wheels so the mower will fit between them rather than extending the boom. The more you extend it, the more leverage the load has and the more likely you are to have a material failure.