New PTO Belt For Cub Cadet 2135 Keeps Coming Off

Old 09-13-14, 01:41 PM
Question New PTO Belt For Cub Cadet 2135 Keeps Coming Off

I had to replace a pto belt on my cub cadet 2135 tractor and I only got one cut out of a new belt, then it kept coming loose. :NO NO NO: It is a spare belt I bought a while ago I had in storage. Is the belt bad or is there I way I can keep it from coming off the pulley? Should I try and find the merchant I purchase it from for a replacement? .

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-14, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First go over the pulley and belt diagram to be sure all are properly attached. Then check the tensioning pulley. It should keep the belt from flopping around.

Old 09-13-14, 02:27 PM
Arrow How do I do that?

Thank you for posting ... I'm sure I have it properly attached ... I have change several pto belts in the past. Could you tell me which one is the tension pulley and how I can adjust it? I have put on another belt I had in storage and so far it only came off a couple of times, but is maintaining. Is there a bolt or something I have to tighten?

Old 09-13-14, 04:29 PM
Name:  cc48lt.gif
Views: 18347
Size:  16.5 KB

It would be the moveable pulley #1. That pulley is self adjusting since it's a spring tension pulley. All you have to do is make sure it moves freely. The spring holds the tension of the pulley against the belt.

Probably there is some trash or corrosion interfering with the pulley.

Old 09-13-14, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that drawing is showing the wrong belt... The PTO belt would go from the engine to the top of the rearmost pulley in that drawing. I would check that pulley to be sure it isn't tilted enough to cause the belt to ride off of it either because of the deck being tilted too far down in the front, or because of worn bushings in the mounting bracket for the pulley. Also check to be sure the belt is good and tight and the spring at the end of lever #3 is putting tension on that rear pulley keeping the pto belt tight.

Old 09-15-14, 07:44 AM
Arrow It is the wrong belt

Cheese is right it is the wrong belt ... my pto belt goes pass the front roller to pulleys on the engine. I'll check the pulleys for trash.