Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oldtimer86

MD

09-14-14, 01:53 PM   #1  
oldtimer86

I have a John Deere LT155...15 years old, and the Hydrostatic Transmission started to make a lot of crackling noises and lost it "get up and go". I managed to get it back into my shed and have torn it down to the tranny being on my workbench. I found the fan had broken up, the Turf Gard 10w-30, is down some, the input pulley and shaft are stripped. When I lift the pulley up to the top of the shaft there are enough threads to make it turn. My first question is...when I turn the pulley should my axle move? I can turn it both ways when I engage the control arm? Second question would be..if replacing the input shaft is possible... steer me in the right direction please. I'm 86,....have another mower to use meantime. but like to tinker and repair. Lots of sore muscles taking off the mower deck and getting the tranny out and on the bench but what a great feeling when I finished.. at least up to that point anyway!! Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links

ME

09-14-14, 04:31 PM   #2  
First off......GOOD FOR YOU! Glad you got satisfaction from doing a takedown. Now you need to get the unit going again.
If I am not mistaken (often I am, ask my wife!) The shaft that drives the unit needs to be turning at speed to make the transmission go. Much like your car. The engine needs to be up in the power band, and then the rpm's are fast enough to make the fluid move.

So you may be able to get the shaft from a place like Jacks Small Engine.com . Make sure you have the number off the transmission, along with the model and serial number of the tractor its self.

There are only 2 companies that make transaxles, so they should be able to help you out. Give them a call, and talk to one of their reps.

Good luck...Glad you are still tinkering...Bless you!

MD

09-14-14, 06:10 PM   #3  
Thanks Poppy's!...especially for the quick response.! Evidently you don't feel replacing the shaft is too much of a deal for me? I assume I have to figure out how to drain all the transmission oil before I start the repair of the shaft. It's 9:00PM right now and I'm heading for the sack and ten or fifteen minutes of some TV to tire the eyes but I'll be on it tomorrow. Can't wait!! Thanks again for the advice...really appreciate it...

ME

09-15-14, 09:25 AM   #4  
You are going to want to keep the work area super clean. Clean all your parts, and keep them covered with clean cloths. I use the shop rags on a roll from Home Depot.

Also....get the fluid spec, and make sure you have enough to completely fill the transaxle....

I can't stress clean..... I have a metal topped work bench, but a metal drip pan works good too...Take photos so you know where stuff goes,

Good luck

Poppy

MD

09-15-14, 12:37 PM   #5  
Transaxle Repair

Thanks again Poppy's! I pressure washed the outside of the unit this morning. It had 15 years of crud on it. Just got through ordering the kit itself for the repair of the shaft etc. from Tuff-Torq themselves. Regular shipping so it may be awhile getting here as it may come from Japan???? Anyway, they also gave me the John Deere part numbers for the pulley and fan. I'm searching them out now. You have been a wealth of information....maybe I can make do with a white sheet. You have me concerned about replacing the gasket now also with the need for keeping everything clean, which is my nature anyway but..... We'll see! Usually, and especially after 15 years it may require some scraping to get the old one loose. Alas! Alas! I guess that is really the fun part anyway..right? I am a long ago retired Vending Machine company owner. When I was a young man and a novice with that industry we all, as vending route men, had to learn and fix our machines ourselves. With the help of an engineer at the company by phone. But those years graduated into my starting my own company and in it's infancy had to do and train my own route people and mechanics as we grew. Hated the office part of my life years later and loved when I had to go out on the street to help one of the kids with something. But I guess you have more to do then listen to an old man rant. Thanks again.!!!!! You were a GOD send!

ME

09-15-14, 01:07 PM   #6  
I sent you a private message Oletimer.....Good going!

Search this Thread