Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna 42 Special

IA

09-14-14, 05:45 PM   #1  
Husqvarna 42 Special

Looking at getting a used one of these. Has anyone either broken or fixed one and has an opinion on them?

I'll use it for firewood. I know they're 43 cc which is about right for small timber felling and blocking.

Sponsored Links

FL

09-15-14, 04:40 AM   #2  
Hello marbobj,

Friend of mine owns one that's used often in his business, The only issue I know he's had is the recoil rope eyelet popped out requiring a new housing......

IA

09-15-14, 06:38 AM   #3  
Thanks for the response 31YTech. That's encouraging. That eyelet wouldn't be too big an issue. I was wondering about the power from the saw. A guy would think it would be the same from those the same size, but there is a big difference.

There's a lot bigger saws out there, but swinging them around for five or six hours is a full days work. The 43cc or in that range works for me pretty well.

TN

09-15-14, 11:18 AM   #4  
Husky Chain Saw

I have two Huskys and have had no problems at all with either one. I highly recommend. Keep your chain sharp. Be safe.

IA

09-15-14, 11:41 AM   #5  
Will try that first Wirepuller. Sounds like this would be a good saw for what I need. I saw some guys porting them out and picking up a lot of performance. You guys do any of that?

FL

09-15-14, 11:52 AM   #6  
I was wondering about the power from the saw

Guess I should have worded differently, My friend owns a land clearing/field mowing/stump grinding business. He has one of these Husqvarna 43cc's and two Stihls, He couldn't wait to get his 42 back when I ordered the new recoil housing.

Therefore I'd think their a pretty good saw or he wouldn't be using it, I myself have never used one since I work for a Stihl dealer. I own a 034 for heavy work and a 017 for light work......

IA

09-15-14, 12:09 PM   #7  
I was just juggling two different thoughts in the post. Appreciate all the information. Stihl is a great saw by all standards. Those were the saws the hedge post guys used to clear hedge tree lines in Southern Iowa. I was using my 306 Poulan then. It's been a good saw- 35 years - still running, BTW.

Search this Thread