Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt Gas Trimmer Cutting Head Issue

PA

09-16-14, 07:13 PM   #1  
Troy Bilt Gas Trimmer Cutting Head Issue

Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out an odd issue with my Troy Bilt TB525CS 4 Cycle Gas trimmer. The issue I'm having is it keeps going through string excessively, even if its just sitting at idle I can occasionally hear string advancing till it gets to the point it starts hitting the piece of steel on the guard to cut off any excess.

I first noticed this issue after replacing the carb and the starter assembly. I have two inner reels that I switch out to load string into the outer spool but both use the same bump feed nut.

Also not sure if it matters but whenever I got the parts to replace the starter the cutting head spins constantly where before it used to only spin when I'd press the throttle trigger. I'm not sure if that would be part of my problem or not because sometimes it'll be fine and sometimes it'll just advance string without me actually bumping it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-16-14, 09:56 PM   #2  
Take the spool out and clean the dust and dirt that has probably built up inside the cup part of the head. Usually that is the cause of this problem. If the engine is idling a little too high, the head will run. Maybe the throttle cable isn't quite in place somewhere and is keeping the carb from going down to idle.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

09-17-14, 04:56 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply cheese, I'll have to clean out the cup and see if that fixes the issue.

I'll have to check the throttle cable to see if that fixes it, I know I initially just figured the idle on the new carb was set high so I adjusted it a little to make the engine idle normal but it might make sense if the cable wasn't set properly. I'll check out both of the issues and let you know if that resolved anything.

PA

09-20-14, 07:17 PM   #4  
Alright so today before I did my yardwork I took out the spool and cleaned the cup (it really wasn't that dirty to begin with) there was just some minor grass inside. After reassembly it still had the issue of going through string.

Given that I have two spools I interchange and both of them cause this issue do you think I might have to replace the inner cup or even the nut and spring that holds the spool on?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-21-14, 07:47 PM   #5  
Sounds like the plastic parts that hold the spool in place are worn out. Could be the cup part or the spools, or both. Can't say without inspecting them, but if there wasn't any compacted dirt in the head, then I'd say the head is worn out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

09-23-14, 07:06 PM   #6  
Thanks, I'm going to go ahead and order a replacement cup part since both spools produce the same issue. Once I get it installed I can see if that resolves the problem or post back.

Search this Thread