Toro Electric Clutch Removal

Old 09-21-14, 03:19 PM
Toro Electric Clutch Removal

I have a 1999 Toro HMR Riding Mower #55620 with a 16HP Kohler Horozontally opposed twin engine in it. This engine HAS to go into the rebuilder for maintenance on the pistons, cylinders etc. In order to remove the engine, along with a goofy set of pulleys for the drive system, the electric cluch has to be removed from the crankshaft to raise the motor off its mounts to the frame. There is nothing strong enough to put a puller on, to remove it like a flywheel etc, and clutch will not "Just drop off the crankshaft" when you remove the bolt), as some people have told me. Clutch is in good shape and I do not want to destroy it to remove it. What is the correct procedure for removing a clutch like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-14, 04:12 PM
I have a single cylinder Kohler - 16 HP engine, but with a levered disc drive on a garden tractor. You can use a bearing puller for something like that if you don't have any puller holes tapped in the face of it. If yours has the drive pulley at the back, make sure you have the set screw backed out before you start pulling.

Old 09-21-14, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They can be stubborn, but usually when they won't bump off with some moderate hammer persuasion, I put two crowbars (the J shaped kind for construction) one on either side with the hook part against the clutch near the crankshaft and the curve of the hook against the engine and pry either side equally. This pretty much always pops them loose.