Gas in Crankcase Oil of Kawasaki FH430V CS05 15 hp Engine

Old 09-23-14, 08:41 PM
Gas in Crankcase Oil of Kawasaki FH430V CS05 15 hp Engine

I have a Kawasaki FH430V CS05 15 hp engine on a DR brush mower. I had what I believe was gas in the crankcase oil and all of my research lead to a bad/gummed up carb. I replaced the entire carb rather than try to clean/rebuild it. At the same time I replaced the fuel filter and obviously the oil and oil filter. I started it up after the fix and it ran great for the 3 Ė 6 minutes before shutting it back down. After shutting down, I checked and now again smell gas in the oil and it appears thinner in consistency. Any ideas? What s the next step? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-14, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have a fuel pump? The only way for it to get gas in the oil is a leaking carburetor or fuel pump.

Old 09-23-14, 09:57 PM
It has a fuel pump -- Kawasaki FH430V Parts List and Diagram - CS05 : eReplacementParts.com, Page G, part 49040-7001. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the fuel pump was just in line from the tank to the carb. I see that there is actually another line coming off of the pump to the engine (hose 92191 on the previously mentioned site). Where does that go? What does it do?

I also checked the vent hole on the pump and it seems unobstructed.

So, would you recommend replacing the fuel pump (~$30)? Iím more than willing to do so if there is a good chance at fixing it. Iím trying to avoid the huge shop fee plus borrowing a trailer to take a 400+ lb machine in. Obviously to change out the pump I would assume I need to again dump the oil and oil filter to try again. I just hate to do this a third time potentially still with no success. Do you feel it is worth the chance? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-24-14, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The line from the pump to the engine is going directly to the crankcase. The pulses of pressure in the crankcase are what operates the fuel pump. If the diaphragm in the pump has a crack or hole in it, it can push gas through that tube, straight into the engine. Generally if this is the case, you can pop that line off while the engine is running and see gas drip out of it.

Old 09-24-14, 06:49 AM
Makes perfect sense. To make sure I have this correct: start up the engine, pop of this line once it is running and then look for gas dripping (pouring!) through this line. Correct?

Old 09-24-14, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct.