Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

storing lawn tractor & lawnmower for winter

CANADA

09-24-14, 11:50 AM   #1  
storing lawn tractor & lawnmower for winter

I've heard it's good to run the engine out of fuel completely and store for winter.
Also, I may do an oil change to avoid dirty oil staying in over winter.
Is it worth adding any supplements?
Doesn't the engine need a bit of fuel or something left in the chambers to avoid rust?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-24-14, 12:18 PM   #2  
I run my snow blower and lawn mower dry before off-season storage but not all do.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-24-14, 12:20 PM   #3  
I've always run mine dry also although some claim it's better to keep a full tank with stabil added to the fuel.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

09-24-14, 12:55 PM   #4  
Can I use seafoam for storage instead of Stabil?
Also, the tank has a max fill lne, which would leave a bit of room in the top for condensation. So, should I overfill it and then just siphona bit off in springtime?

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-24-14, 01:29 PM   #5  
Since burning only premium fuel in my small four stroke engines I have done nothing except turn off the fuel shut off if there is one and cover it with a tarp.
Two stroke I will use premium fuel and put stabilizer in the last fuel tank then dump the tank into the next season's engine.

The difference is that when regular fuel sits for one seaon the tank smells like c*ap and with premium smells like new.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-24-14, 01:44 PM   #6  
Since you list as non U.S., you probably do not have to deal with ethanol gas. That is a plus for you. Warm the engine and change the oil before storage. Add Seafoam to the gas. Run it long enough for the Seafoam to get into the carb. A full tank of fuel reduces condensation in the tank over the winter months. Finally, use a battery maintainer to keep your battery charged and eliminate the chance of it freezing.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-24-14, 03:17 PM   #7  
Regular gas in Canada contains 10% ethanol.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread