Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawn mower pto clutch

MI

09-25-14, 09:42 AM   #1  
lawn mower pto clutch

20 year old Toro Proline. Runs fine for about a half hour, then blows the fuse. Change the fuse, start the engine right away, immediately engage the PTO, and the fuse blows again. Change the fuse, let it set for 15-20 minutes, start the engine, engage the PTO, and it will mow for another half hour or so. Seemed obvious that the PTO is bad, so checked it with ohmmeter and it shows .4 ohms, which I believe confirms it is bad, but would like to verify this. Then, assuming it is bad, is it advisable to change the entire clutch assembly, or is it sufficient to change just the field assembly, assuming that I can find it alone. Mower has always been stored indoors, and is otherwise in very good shape, so disks or whatever else is inside the clutch should also be in good shape, if that matters.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-25-14, 10:41 AM   #2  
I usually like to see around 2 ohms at the clutch. I have seen them work fine with less resistance than 2, but .4 pretty much says it is shorted.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

09-25-14, 12:16 PM   #3  
Well, okay then, we'll go with a new clutch. I feel comfortable with my diagnosis process, as far as eliminating other components, wires, connectors, etc., but, at about $400 for a new one, I appreciate the support. The heck of the matter is that I have a new mower setting at the dealership, so was going to sell this one, and still will, but want to make sure that it's in good mechanical shape first. Thank you.

Search this Thread