Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Universal small engine?

IN

09-26-14, 04:29 AM   #1  
Universal small engine?

Borrowing a pressure washer from my parents the other day and noticed that there numerous small engines in my garage... wouldn't it be nice if there were a universal 6-hp engine with attachments for: mower, edger, generator, pressure washer, snowblower etc...

And then a small universal engine for weedwacker, blower, etc. Actually I'm wondering if battery pack weedwackers and blowers are good enough for 1/2 acre yard and fence cleanup.

I know there are usually bad trade-offs / sacrifices for these do it all products. Just not looking forward to maintaining 7 small gas engines. :-)

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

09-26-14, 06:26 AM   #2  
Google "DR power equipment"

Group Moderator

NC

09-26-14, 08:06 AM   #3  
I inherited a "wonder tool" from my in-laws. One engine as the power module and various attachments such as a dozer blade, roto tiller, chipper shredder, mower... It was a jack of all trades and not very good at any of them. In all modes it was considerably bigger and heavier than a dedicated machine. The conversion from one machine to another was somewhat time consuming and I always seemed to end up cursing and dripping a little blood. But yes, I do understand your frustration. I maintain 6 diesel engines and about 15 gasoline. Just routine oil changes are a chore. Then making sure they all get used regularly or the gas ones need to have the fuel drained and carburetors emptied to prevent them from gunking up.

Super Moderator

AZ

09-26-14, 09:19 AM   #4  
I remember in Italy, they had machines that tilled, plowed, mowed, towed, etc. One engine and chassis, various attachments for each job.

The US is sort of moving that way in some respects. Look at the Quick Clik (or whatever they are called) 2 cycle powerheads. Edger, trimmer, blower, pole saw, hedge trimmers, etc.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

IN

09-26-14, 10:20 AM   #5  
Troybuilt has TrimmerPlus with trimmer, edger, blower, cultivator, pole saw, hedge, accesories:
http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...er-attachments

Interestingly... on troybuilt.com looks like all of these accessories have 5 star reviews ;-) On amazon they show more realistic 3.5-4.5 star reviews

Actually sounds like these TrimmerPlus accessories work between different brands. The small blower attachment appears to work on TroyBuilt Husqvarna MTD Ryobi

Super Moderator

AZ

09-26-14, 10:25 AM   #6  
Because they are probably all manufactured by the same parent company. IIRC, Ryobi was the first, and the next model year everyone had them.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread