Kohler Command 25 won't start

Old 09-26-14, 09:11 PM
Kohler Command 25 won't start

My Kohler 25 command twin engine won't start, just clicks. I know the battery is good so I suspect the solenoid or the starter. Is there a way to test these individually?

The engine is a CV725S Spec # 69539 Serial # 3104502951

Thanks!

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
This would be a good place to use that old oven igniter.

Clicks once or click, click click ? Multiple clicking is a classic low battery or corroded battery terminal. Terminals can look good from the outside.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12v test light ? I like to use a test light because it's easy to see.
Connect the test light or meter negative to the chassis or the metal block. Touch the probe to the positive of the battery. Turn the key to start.... does it stay at 12v ?

If yes.... connect the probe to where the battery connects to the engine. Do the same test.
If power is ok.... you've eliminated battery and cable.
Your battery probably connects to one side of a starting solenoid. Place your probe on the other big bolt and nut. Try starting again. What happens ?

Old 09-28-14, 01:13 PM
Battery is good, solid test light & 12VDC at the battery & terminal at the solenoid. Clicks once when I try the key. No voltage present at the other stud on the solenoid or the wire lug I presume from the switch.
I didn't try the igniter! oven is cooking, if I could just get this mower cookin'!!

TexasFire

Old 09-28-14, 05:03 PM
You need a little more voltage on the battery - 13 to 14 volts - around there. The low voltage coming out of the battery may account for the solenoid not working (clicking) and the no voltage at the starter stud on the solenoid.

I would try jumping the battery first and see if the solenoid holds still enough to get a good reading on the starter side stud. If you get that done and there is nothing on the stud, then replace the solenoid.

Old 09-28-14, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you use the test light or a meter, do you keep them attached when you turn the key to start and hear the click? If the light or meter remain at full brightness or voltage, there is a problem with the solenoid. If the light dims and the meter dives to 10 volts or less, your battery is bad.

Old 09-28-14, 09:07 PM
Battery is good & so is the solenoid & starter. I pulled the starter & it spins fine jumping it direct. I put it back in & jumped 12V to the spade lug terminal that I think comes from the start key. switch. The solenoid engaged & the starter spun (but mower didn't start). This mower may have a starter relay, I'll have to check the schematic or trace the wire (it goes back into a bundle). It got dark on me & I had to abandon for today. The mower is a Scott's 2554S and is actually made by John Deere.

TexasFire

Old 09-29-14, 07:09 AM
So as it stands now, it doesn't just click, the engine does turn over, but doesn't start?
Check the spark at the plug with the plug wire hooked up and the spark plug grounded. If nothing there, find the small wire coming off the ignition module/coil. Just follow the spark plug wire back. The small is a kill wire and hooks up to the same place.

Disconnect the kill wire and check for spark. If no spark, replace the module/coil. Make sure you have the plug grounded and check inside a garage or someplace fairly dark