New push mower running at half speed

Old 10-05-14, 12:42 PM
New push mower running at half speed

We have an almost brand new push mower only purchased 4 months ago that now seems to be running at half speed. A few weeks ago it wouldn't start. We thought it was because I hit a rock but after talking to a few people they told us here in Washington the gas goes bad quickly and to drain it and fill it up again. We got a turkey baster, drained it, filled it up and it started! But now it's going downhill again. It takes a few pulls to get it started, runs, then kind of shudders while it's mowing, often dying during the task. Any help would be appreciated.

Details:Husqvarna 160 cc with Honda engine model number 961450009
Always stored in the garage

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-14, 04:36 PM
You can work on it from the fuel side and put a little Sea Foam (from auto parts store) in it to clean it up. Or you can look at it from hitting the rock side. That would be a sheared flywheel key which affects the timing. Usually that will advance the timing because the flywheel keeps going when everything else stops.

If the rock hit stopped the mower suddenly, I would check the flywheel key if the Sea Foam doesn't fix it.

Old 10-05-14, 05:48 PM
If it shudders while mowing, you probably bent the crankshaft when you hit the rock and it is now junk, take it back. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-05-14, 06:27 PM
How did it run right after you hit the rock?

Old 10-05-14, 07:02 PM
We're about 30 days too late to take it back. Bummer.

Old 10-05-14, 07:06 PM
If I remember correctly it finished the job but it was the next time that it wouldn't start.

Old 10-05-14, 07:38 PM
A bent crankshaft should have shown up right away.

Old 10-05-14, 07:44 PM
If it were a bent crankshaft would it run at all? If we switch the fuel out it runs much better...

Old 10-06-14, 06:29 AM
Maybe you just bent the blade, and it's now out of balance. I'd inspect it; check the balance; and re-balance or replace (depending on what you discover.