Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Intek 15.5 Shakes and farts

Non-US

10-05-14, 10:48 PM   #1  
Intek 15.5 Shakes and farts

Hi, Sounds like the timing is out, Starts fine but won't rev and back fires shakes and generally isn't having a good day. I checked the key on the flywheel and its fine. New fuel and the plug's ok. Its a Briggs 285H77 15.5hp on a Countax Ride On. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-06-14, 06:35 AM   #2  
Rebuild the carburetor and I bet it stops acting up.
Find a place to buy nonethanol fuel, single biggest issue with small engines is ethanol fuel.
Short of that go buy some of the additive to counter act the effects of it.
Any auto store, Walmart, Box store, power tool store will have it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-14, 07:59 PM   #3  
How does it idle?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

10-06-14, 10:02 PM   #4  
So I just gave the carb a clean and blow out and its running much better - to my surprise I thought it was going to be almost deathly.. Still won't make full throttle and now "pops" somewhat but defiantly an improvement so progress is great. It idles kinda ok like rough and "hunts" i think you call it. I'll take the carb off again as it looks like its had rust in there.. Awesome help Thankyou very much!! Any good way to clean it well? Looks like it needs sandblasting .. Thanks again for sure!! Cheers Steve

VA

10-07-14, 05:46 AM   #5  
Here are some good instructions for the carb.

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Walbro LMT Carburetor used on Briggs and Stratton Engines

I tend to spray thoroughly with carb cleaner, into every hole and orifice and blow hard with compressed air and then do it all over again and probably again. Peal the paper off of a regular twist tie (used for garbage bags) and lightly push that through the little holes and again spray with carb cleaner and blow with compressed air.

Search this Thread