Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil leak - Older Craftsman Power Washer

PA

10-07-14, 02:28 PM   #1  
Oil leak - Older Craftsman Power Washer

The power washer I own runs fine. It is a little finicky to get started (primer bulb is very stiff) but once running operates fine. Today I noted a sheen under the unit while it was running. Several times I stuck my hand under the unit and finally came up with oil dripping down off the pump. I believe that the crankshaft seal is compromised. I see no oil on the floor when the power washer sits. First question, is my guess on that seal reasonable? And, how difficult is it to replace the crankshaft seal if that is the problem.

Engine is a B&S 10B902 Type 0130 01

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-07-14, 10:45 PM   #2  
Yes, it's replaceable with minimal work. Remove the pump and use a seal puller to pull the old seal and an installer to drive in the new one flush. Be careful not to scratch the crankshaft... it is softer than you think. You can also pull the seal very carefully with a screw in a drilled hole in it, and put a new one in with a punch. Damage to the crankshaft is more likely this way, so care must be taken.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

10-08-14, 01:55 PM   #3  
Any idea where I can purchase an installer?

Can I pull the sump on this engine and replace the seal with a socket off the engine?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-08-14, 01:58 PM   #4  
where I can purchase an installer?
I've always made my own out of wood when installing seals.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

10-08-14, 04:12 PM   #5  
Are you sure the oil is coming from the engine and not the pump, might not hurt to power wash the bottom of the engine and pump and watch to see where the oil is coming from. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread