Rear Engine Snapper Rider. Have to hold it in Reverse

Old 10-10-14, 07:55 AM
Rear Engine Snapper Rider. Have to hold it in Reverse

Rear engine Snapper, 04 year model. It's hard to get into reverse. And then you have to push back on the shift lever to keep it in reverse. All other gears work as they should. Disk drive look's good. Single pedal for clutch and brake. Both clutch and brake work fine. A linkage adjustment maybe??

Thanks in advance.
ih

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 09:35 AM
The shift lever is probably bent, although the disk looks good it is probably worn some, with the mower standing put it in reverse and check how far the disk moves past center of the drive plate, if it is not completely on the drive plate I think you can adjust it, but the easiest solution is to bend the shift lever. I have had 4 of these mowers all used and none would stay in reverse without at least holding the shift lever. You can download a manual at the snapper site. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-10-14, 12:54 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. By shift lever. Do you mean the gear shift itself? Or the linkage from the shift lever to the transmission? Also, in what direction does it need to be bent? Assuming the mower is standing on it's end.

I also need to add the mower shifts easily into reverse when not running. But most times is a real bear to shift to reverse when running. i wouldn't sweat it. But my yard is cut up by 2 fences, numerous flower bends, trees. You name it. And i have to cut around or up to it.

THanks
ih

Old 10-10-14, 01:27 PM
The gear shift, the part you hang on to, seems to get bent over time because we try forcing it into reverse, so it needs to be bent forward with the mower setting down, since we can change into all the other gears without touching the clutch it is assumed it will easily go into reverse also, however not the case, try using the clutch when going into reverse it works much better, this is all based on my own experience and nothing else. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-10-14, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Often when one is hard to shift like this, it is because the axle boots are torn and the hex tube is getting dirt on it.

Old 10-11-14, 11:23 AM
THanks guys. The boots are good. I've always used the clutch for reverse. Never even tried to shift to reverse without clutching.

After inspecting ,I noticed the gear shift is wearing into the frame,drivers side. Well actually the frame has about cut the shiftier in 1/2. So something must be out of adjustment. You're ideas are welcome. This is a fairly low hour mower.

Thanks
ih