Poulan Pro Carberators

Old 10-25-14, 01:51 PM
Poulan Pro Carberators

I have three different poulan pro items that I am having carb problems with. I have a Poulan Pro 295 chainsaw, a PP133 weed eater, and a BVM 200 blower. They will all start, but will not remain running at all. I have rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, replaced fuel lines and filters, cleaned the air filters, cleaned the spark arresters on the mufflers. In addition, I have replaced the spark plugs. I have used all three pretty well over the years. I did not have this problem until this year.

I have tried following the instructions on several forums, set the H and L at about 2 to 2.5 turns and then adjust. I just can't get it to stay running long enough to adjust. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-14, 02:09 PM
May have air leaks, with the unit running, spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb, if the engine changes tempo you have a leak. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-25-14, 02:44 PM
Use 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated on the mixture screws. Then turn the throttle opening screw in until it will keep running. Then set the L, then the H, then the L, then the H. The last setting on the L & H screw will be turning each out to get a slight drop in rpms That will get you a richer mixture to ensure lubrication.

Old 10-26-14, 08:39 AM
One down, two to go

Marbobj, I took your advice and the 295 chainsaw is working great! I am still having trouble with the pp133 and bvm200. I can get them to start, but they bog down quickly and will not keep running long enough to adjust them. Geogrubb, I checked for air leaks and didn't find any. Of course, I can't keep them running long enough to be sure.

They both have zama carbs. The bvm200 has a throttle that is pretty much set and the H and L have caps on them that limit their adjustment. I tried them in different positions but still can not get it to stay running. Any suggestion would be well appreciated.

The pp133 has a pretty standard zama carb with all the adjustments as you would expect. I checked the fuel cap and it is functioning properly. I have fuel, I have spark.

I have used them pretty hard over the years. This is the first time that I have had so much trouble with them.

Old 10-26-14, 09:30 AM
They bog down when you try to accelerate with the throttle? If you have both an H and a L screw turn the H screw in about 1/8 turn. Then go to the L screw and turn it out first 1/4 turn, then slowly turn it in until you get a good acceleration off the throttle. It should have a good throttle response. If you can't get that and the carb is in good shape, you may be getting too much blowby on the cylinder. For that you could put in a set of rings or change the cylinder/piston.

Usually you have to weigh the cost/benefit of doing that much. A lot of the smaller two strokes are better off tossed away before you put too much money in them.

Old 10-26-14, 04:57 PM
Not getting enough fuel?

They bog down if I try to give it fuel or just let it idle. I am wondering if they are not getting enough fuel. It seems that as soon as the fuel is burned up it stops.

Old 10-26-14, 05:28 PM
The odd thing is it can be either. A two stroke bogs when the fuel gets too rich and since the richer fuel can't combust as quickly the power drops and the air flow through it gets slower until it finally stops. The fix is done through the low end mixture screw by turning it in until you get the quick acceleration. What you've done is lean out the mixture so it will burn more quickly.

On the other hand, and a little more obvious, when they run out of gas they quit on you. Usually the rpms increase right before shut down if that's the case.

That is usually blamed on the pump diaphragm, but it may be the blowby on the piston rings/cylinder is breaking up the vacuum pulse cycle in the crankcase where your pulse originates to drive the fuel pump. It pulses out, but not back = no fuel pumping. A carb kit doesn't fix that. A good place to start is a compression test or leak down test to see what kind of shape the cylinder is in.

Your Poulan Pro 295 has the Dura Chrome cylinder which lasts a long, long time so it was likely in good shape. The other two may have a carb problem or they may have wear to be dealt with.

Last edited by marbobj; 10-26-14 at 05:47 PM.

Search this Thread