Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Simplicity Intermittant Start

OH

10-25-14, 06:27 PM   #1  

I have a Simplicity Sunstar that I recently bought from an Estate. It is in great shape, but it has a problem I have not encountered on any tractor before. With a fully charged battery, it does not want to engage the starter when I turn the key. It may take 3 or 4 tries when the engine is cold for the starter to engage and start to crank the engine. When the engine is warm it might engage the starter right away, or on the 2nd try. I am not sure where to go first to find this problem. Key switch, solinoid, bendix drive? I hear this mower may have a module of some type as well that may have something to do with it?

Model # 1692135 Serial #1234 20 Hp Hydro Drive. 1200 hours

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-14, 11:30 PM   #2  
Sounds like probably a bad solenoid since that's the way they often act when they begin to fail. You could check for power at the small wire plugged into the solenoid when trying to start it. If there is power there, but it doesn't click, it's time for a new one.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

10-26-14, 07:07 PM   #3  

So I'm going after a Kohler Solinoid, Oh Joy. I had another issue today. The this mower has a rear PTO option that runs a fan that picks up clipppings and deposits them in a towed rear trailer. This PTO was working fine yesterday, but would not engage today and let me know with serious noise that it was not happy.This rear pto is engaged by an electric clutch of some type, which I cannot see without removing some serious sheet metal. Is this an easy repair or am I waiting for winter to tackle this?

Last edited by WML13; 10-26-14 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional facts

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-27-14, 11:24 PM   #4  
Hard to say... you'll have to gain visual access to it to see what the noise is. Maybe something got wrapped up in there. Maybe bad bearings.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

10-28-14, 07:40 AM   #5  

I called Simplicity customer Service yesterday trying to find out just what is back there. (no return call) I have a parts breakdown for either a 2000 rpm or a 3400 rpm pto attachment accessory. These sounds like way too much rpm for this fan (seems like standard 540 would be enough) but the manual doesn't list one with that rpm specification. Youre the man behind the curtain, where do I go from here, oh wise one? (Edit News) Just got a call from Simplicity Cust Service. He said that option (blower vac) required an engine speed PTO (3400 rpm) I will be taking the rear of the mower apart to get to it to see whats wrong.

Last edited by WML13; 10-28-14 at 07:56 AM. Reason: New Data

Search this Thread