Cub Cadet MTD will not start

Old 10-29-14, 07:26 PM
Exclamation Cub Cadet MTD will not start

Hello everyone - I have been told to come to this website to ask the gurus for help so here I am.

Cub Cadet snowblower model - 31AM53LR596
I have been told it is an MTD engine - model - 370 - SUB 0908202A0475

Before storing the snowblower last year I did not drain the gas or change the oil.

I tried starting the machine last weekend but it would not start.
I replaced the spark plug and cleaned the carburetor after watching a few youtube videos.

I accidentally placed the float pin the wrong way which caused gas to leak from the carburetor. I corrected this and started it again, gas stopped leaking from the carburetor but the engine was idling rough and turned off within 5 seconds. I tried starting it again and now it will not start even with the electric start.

Can any of you help me understand why it won't start?

Thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-14, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums. Our top guru for small engines may be off for the evening. Check back on a regular basis and help will be on the way.

First, pull the spark plug and see if it is dry or gas soaked. If wet, dry it and try starting again. If it still won't start, tell us how you cleaned the carb.

Old 10-30-14, 05:37 AM
I pulled the spark plug and although it was a little black, it was dry.

I cleaned the carb by removing it completely and doing the following

1. Removed the carb bowl
2. Removed the emulsion tube and another round object that came with it. I believe it's the main jet
3. Removed float alongside pin. I noticed that my float pin actually had a spring on it.
4. Removed rubber gasket
4. Sprayed carb cleaner in all the openings. And let it sit for 3 minutes to dry.
5. Put some motor oil on the rubber gasket seal between the carb and the bowl. Reinstalled everything back together

A few possibilities I can think of are: 1) I overtightened the emulsion tube. 2) The float pin is stopping fuel delivery.

Hopefully this helps you all in identifying what I could have done wrong.

Thank you very much!!

Old 10-30-14, 08:17 PM
Could the float being placed incorrectly the first time flooded the engine and mixed the oil with gas and ruining the engine?

Old 10-31-14, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=rq3jotLtNko

this is a video of me trying to start the snowblower