Craftsman 5hp snowblower running sloppy

Old 11-05-14, 04:55 PM
Craftsman 5hp snowblower running sloppy

I'd like to get this thing running smooth. It's obviously a carburetor issue. I'm thinking adjustments and/or clogged something. It will only run with the choke open fully and at full throttle. Any attempt to close the choke or ramp down the throttle will make it stall. The side idle pin and the bottom high idle pin were adjusted to the default 1.5 turns out with no change.

I'm looking for some feedback. I took a vid where you can here the surging and see the governor butterfly thing opening and closing. I'm wondering what these symptoms might indicate.

http://vid1278.photobucket.com/albums/y506/snowday133/MVI_2175_zpsdbzmsuat.mp4 I don't have a problem with replacing the carb for $20 via Amazon.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-14, 06:57 PM
Before you do anything to radical remove the bowl nut, main jet, an make sure the tiny hole near the top is clean, I use the wire from a twist tie to clean it. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one.Geo

Old 11-05-14, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the twist-tie idea. I couldn't find anything that small to go all the way through that hole before. I had to look underneath the breadbox to find one but it did fit the tiny hole. I couldn't tell if the tiny hole was clogged or not I will find out if it makes a difference when I crank it up again tomorrow. It's too late here for something like that right now.

Old 11-06-14, 06:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Want to avoid future problems?
Try and find a place that sells nonethanol fuel and only use that.
I know of at least 6 places that sell it within 10miles of my home.
Add a shut off valve to the fuel line and shut it off and let it run out of fuel when your getting ready to shut it down.
Add A small amount of Sea Foam every time you fuel up.
Never ever use old fuel, after 3 months it degrades.