MTD Snow Blower disconnected wire under gas tank

Old 11-08-14, 01:32 PM
MTD Snow Blower disconnected wire under gas tank

I have a MTD snow blower about 12 years old or so. It is a 4 stroke Tecumseh engine.
There is an eletric start option on it, so I can simply plug it into a 110 power source and press the button to start. However, it will no longer start for me. That is when I noticed there is a disconnected wire located below the gas tank.
On the disconnected end, there is a white connector that is flared at the end (not sure if this is broken or what), then down to a black wire, and that black wire disappears into the engine area between the engine and the starter, right next to the fuel line.
I have a picture of the engine with the fuel tank removed so it is easier to see the wire in question, but did not notice yet where I can post the image.
Does anyone have an idea of what this wire is for, and where it should be connected?
Thank you for any help.
Rodney from PA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-14, 02:59 PM
Some Tecs have this wire. It is for a light. Good luck finding the matching plug. People who install a light make do with the two wires. It has nothing to do with the starter.
Sid

Old 11-08-14, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
However, it will no longer start for me.
The starter won't crank or the engine won't start ?

The starter is a self contained 120v starting motor. If you push the button and nothing happens... replace the starter.

Old 11-09-14, 07:17 AM
Do you also have the recoil start ?

Does it start that way . . . . without using the electric starter ?

On mine (MTD/White/Tecumseh), the connector under the gas tank was used for both the heated hand-grips and the other for headlight. Salt corrosion rendered the chintzy connector non-functional, and I soldered in a pair of solid wire connections for each from the two alternator coils. By the way, there's a 15 Amp Fuse in that circuit which is hiding and doesn't show on the MTD/White Wiring Diagram . . . . just to help make things more exciting.

That "connector" may have simplified the manufacturing process; but certainly shouldn't have been located at the bottom of a drip loop !

Search this Thread