Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brake disc stuck on lawnmower... how can i remove it?

FL

11-08-14, 09:44 PM   #1  
Brake disc stuck on lawnmower... how can i remove it?

murray mower, model unknown

I'm trying to take the brake off and the disc isnt budging. Tried hitting it pretty hard with a hammer, but wanted to check here before i really go to town on it.

first of all, isn't it supposed to just slide off? if so is there a better way to do it than smacking it with a hammer? here is a pic:

Thanks for any help!

http://i.imgur.com/yP7ZF1Q.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-08-14, 10:54 PM   #2  
Sometimes they get good and stuck. It can be so bad that is ruins it getting it off. Usually I can drive a flathead screwdriver under one side and another under the other and pry until it pops off. Spray it with PBlaster and if you get it to move at all, spray some more and drive it back on, then pry again. Do this until it comes off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VT

11-09-14, 08:14 AM   #3  
My transmission mechanic used a "puller" to remove one on a Tecumseh/Peerless transmission recently; but it held on to that splined brake shaft so tight that was bent before it budged, and I had to take it to a blacksmith to flatten it back out . . . . so don't hesitate to use plenty of penetrating oil/blaster and lots of patience.

The brake rotor is engineered to slide in and out on that shaft as the brake is used and as the pads wear down . . . . but it seldom gets any attention or lubrication until it has seized up.

FL

11-09-14, 02:29 PM   #4  
thanks guys. yeah vermont this is also on a tecumseh/peerless transmission. i'll keep working with it and hopefully it will come loose without damage.

FL

11-09-14, 09:24 PM   #5  
went to autozone and they loaned me a 3 jaw puller that was a perfect fit

OEM/2 Ton 2 or 3 jaw puller 27011 at AutoZone.com - 1 reviews

ended up using a bunch of pb blaster, a propane torch to heat it up, and occasionally hitting it with a rubber mallet... took about 15 minutes but came off with no damage.

that little tool worked great for getting this off, def try it if you guys run into a situation like this again... best part is it didnt cost anything to borrow it.

Search this Thread