Clutch wont disengage drive belt on lawnmower.

Old 11-08-14, 09:52 PM
Clutch wont disengage drive belt on lawnmower.

murray mower, model unknown (sticker unreadable)

When you press down on the clutch, isn't the drive belt supposed to stop turning?

I cant get it to stop being spun even when the clutch is fully depressed. I even took the tensioner pulley off to make it extra loose, and it still turns. It's a new drive belt, and is supposed to be the same length of the old one.

I thought maybe i should try a longer belt, but its already really loose with the tensioner pulley off... so i didnt know if there was maybe something else i could do.

Here is a video of it:

MVI 8187 - YouTube

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-14, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the engine pulley is really rusty, it will grab even a loose belt and keep it turning.

Old 11-09-14, 07:06 AM
i dont think its rusty, but i'll still check it out. thanks.

i forgot to mention that it's grabbing it hard enough so that the mower keeps moving even with the clutch pedal held all the way down.

in talking to someone else they brought up the point that belt guides might play a role in keeping it disengaged. i actually broke one of the belt guides (just a bolt sticking down by the pulley) off when i installed this, because i couldnt get it loose... perhaps not having that belt guide might be causing it to flop around and catch the pulley?

thats about the only think i can think of, because this belt is supposed to be the same size as the old one and the old one would disengage when the pedal was held down. i might try replacing that belt guide (if i can get the bolt out) to see if it helps.

Old 11-09-14, 08:34 AM
That happened to me on my older (1973) Murray/AMF/Noma/Dynamark Rider and it was the clutch linkage/rod that had fallen out of its receptacle in the clutch idler pulley's mounting arm because it had become elongated, and I had to have someone weld a couple heavy duty washers onto the hole in order to re-create that hole.

It that's the issue, and if you can remove the part with the hole, someone should be able to add stock or a set of washers for half an hour's labor (or thereabouts?).

Old 11-09-14, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The guide does help. Where did you get the belt and how did they measure it? Many parts stores measure the old belt and say it is old and stretched and give you one an inch or two shorter. This is wrong, belts don't stretch.

Old 11-17-14, 11:42 AM
Update: i replaced the belt guide that i had broken, and in the process i noticed that the belt i bought from the auto store was quite a bit thicker than my old belt.

after some closer inspection of my old belt, and questions on the internet, i guessed that it said 37x87 on it (not a measurement, thats how they label their oem belts)... ordered one and it works properly on the mower. thanks for the help.

Old 11-17-14, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it, thanks for the update!