Honda HS521 Snowblower Gas Overflow

Old 11-09-14, 01:41 PM
Honda HS521 Snowblower Gas Overflow

So I have a 20 year old Honda single-stage HS521 OHV 4 cycle snowblower. It has worked quite well for me over the years and always starts right up. I got it out yesterday to get it ready for the winter season and it started right up on the first pull. The problem is that it has a gas shut off valve and when I turn it on, the gas flows out the overflow tube. The minute I shut the valve off, it stops. It has never done this before and I am wondering what might be causing this? An help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-14, 02:30 PM
Does that carburetor have a float bowl whose float might be stuck in the down position (not floating) as if it was stored over the summer without fuel in the bowl ?

If so, sometimes a mere tap on the side of the bowl with a rubber mallet will dislodge the float . . . . but a nice inspection and carburetor cleaning would be preferable.

Old 11-09-14, 03:23 PM
It does have a float bowl and I already took that apart and checked the float. It does move freely. I am wondering if I should take it apart again and check to make sure that it isn't in the down position because the spring is damaged or something? Maybe I just need to get a new float.

Old 11-09-14, 03:40 PM
Sorry; but I'm not familiar with Honda engines enough to comment beyond what I offered earlier.

I am pleased to see that someone has received service from one of these units for 20 years . . . . and this is among the 1st problems you've encountered. That says a whole bunch.

Old 11-09-14, 05:09 PM
There have been other issues, but more normal wear and tear. I spent several hundred on it several years ago because many wear and tear items wear worn out. The problem is that where I live now the nearest dealer is about 65 miles away. So I am stuck fixing it myself.

Very reliable motor though. I think that it is probably the actual float and I will be ordering a new one tomorrow.

Old 11-09-14, 06:14 PM
Post the engine info, so someone can check what carb it has, I think it has a plastic float, if so the float is not the problem, it may be stuck as previously stated and will be a sinple fix. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-10-14, 06:34 AM
Yes, and if it's still leaking after freeing up the float, then the float needle may not be seating correctly and may be worn, or the seat itself may have worn or deteriorated due to age (20 years) or due to ethanol having been in your fuel.

It all depends, as George says, on the configuration of that unknown carburetor.

Old 11-10-14, 10:54 AM
I am not at home right now, so I can't check the exact engine/carburetor info. It does have a plastic float though. I don't think that it has ever had ethanol in it, as I always use premium gas in all of my small engines.