Poulan Wildthing Won't Stay Running

Old 11-11-14, 11:39 AM
Poulan Wildthing Won't Stay Running

I got a Poulan Wildthing 2375 from my father in law. It had been sitting for years unused. I replaced the fuel lines (which had basically disentegrated), cleaned the carburetor and overhauled it with a repair kit, and changed the plastic manifold between the carburetor and the engine since it was cracked in half. The saw usually starts right up, but after cutting a few logs it bogs down and shuts off. Sometimes it won't start again, other times it starts up and revs maxed out without me hitting the throttle. It's just very unpredictable. I would like to be able to get it running, but don't want to sink a ton of money into it since a new one is like $150. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 05:26 PM
Something like that can be a vacuum leak - either at the carb/manifold or the crank seals. Get it running and spray some WD40 around those places to see if the rpms change. If they do that is the place to give attention to.

Old 11-11-14, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What you described sounds exactly like an air leak. I'd start by checking around that plastic manifold and gaskets there, because it's an area prone to leaks and problems. Get a can of carb cleaner and spray around that area while it's running until you fins a spot where it makes the saw behave drastically different. That will be the leaking area. If not there, it may be at the crankshaft seals.

Edited: marbobj beat me to it, but said the same thing essentially.