Toro 826 snowblower crack in housing

Old 11-16-14, 05:26 AM
Toro 826 snowblower crack in housing

While preparing my snowblower for winter yesterday, I noticed 3 cracks in the plastic housing below the actual chute. There are no holes in the housing, just cracks. The plastic seems to be intact at the cracks, but I can move the pieces with my hand. Undoubtedly this happened last winter when the temp was 0 and the plastic was brittle. Just wondering if someone has a suggestion on a type of epoxy/glue, etc that will withstand the low temps and moisture that accompany snow blowing. The snow blower is a Toro 826 LE.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not just replace the part?

Old 11-16-14, 05:37 AM
The part is $175 and it looks like the entire top of the snowblower needs to be disassembled to replace.

Old 11-16-14, 06:06 AM
Can you glue it PLUS provide it with some kind of metal reinforcement (sandwiching the plastic) while you have it apart ?

When I can't find anything better, I've always used that old standby . . . . "Plumbers' Strapping".

Finding a glue that will work may be more of a problem; crazy glue doesn't adhere to many of these parts so you'll have to experiment a bit, and read the labels carefully.

Old 11-16-14, 06:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop it from spreading.
Use Duco model cement to glue it.
Start saving up for the part.

Old 11-16-14, 06:36 AM
try using JB Weld products. If any glue type item is going to work JB Weld is your best bet.

Old 11-22-14, 04:42 PM
I have your same model and had the same problem. Toro now has changed the material and offers a lifetime warranty on this part. As one has mentioned, drill a small hole at the end of each crack to stop the crack from spreading. Don't bother with a solvent or JB weld, they wont hold up to the pounding. Take a piece of paper and cut and fit it to cover as much of this piece that you want to cover and secure the cracks. Take the paper and transfer the shape onto a piece of sheet metal. Cut it out with a dremel tool and then pop rivet it to the top of the piece