Craftsman 5hp tiller fuel issue

Old 11-16-14, 11:44 AM
Craftsman 5hp tiller fuel issue

Hello, recently I was given a 5hp craftsman tiller that doesn't run.

Model: 135202
Type: 0119 01

If I manually feed the engine fuel it will run. The gas in the tank was terrible and smelled like turpentine and rusty. I dumped this out and cleaned it out as best as I could. I removed the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner for 24 hours and then replaced the pick up tube and diaphragm. After reassembling and trying to get it to run without success I removed the diaphragm and replaced again just incase there was a pinhole leak I couldn't see and still nothing. If I manually fill the bowl at the top that the diaphragm fills it still doesn't want to run. Any ideas? The part of the carb that extends down into the bowl that the diaphragm fills, is this removable somehow for cleaning?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 01:34 PM
Here is some carb cleaning instructions that might be helpful.

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs Tank-mounted Pulsa-jet Fixed-jet Small Well Carburetor

You could try filling the gas tank up COMPLETELY full and if it works with that it is telling you that the big pick up tube is where your problem is. I guess if the gas tank is full enough, it allows the gas to flow into that little cup, where the main jet pulls in the gas.

You also want to make sure that little cup has no rust holes in it. This can be a problem with pulsa-jet carbs. It wouldn't take much of a hole to have all that gas that is being put into that little cup, from the big pick up tube, flow back down into the gas tank. Obviously, no gas in the cup means no gas to the motor.

Take a close look at all the gaskets that hold the carb to the intake manifold and the tank. There can be no air leaks here. You can use a little gasket sealer or oil on them to ensure they have a better seal.

Lastly, that diaphragm in the fuel pump. I know you changed it but take a close look at it again. Hold it up to a light and make sure there are absolutely no holes in it or any other deformities.